Will two Ultrafine 4K charge the Macbook 15" with enough power?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chparigi, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Chparigi macrumors member

I just received my Macbook Pro 15" with touchbar yesterday, and i absolutely love it! I'm using it with my new Ultrafine 4k display, but that only charges it with 60W instead of 87W provided by the native USB C charger.

I'm using a Dell 24" display as well, but connected over a Thunderbolt dock.

When i ran Civ VI from my Macbook yesterday, seing how much it could handle, i noticed that the battery actually lost some of it's charge, propably because the laptop uses more than 60W provided by the screen.

Could a second Ultrafine 4k screen solve this problem? I can roughly get the cost of a Ultrafine 4k for selling my old screen and the bulky Docking Station, but i have no idea how this USB-C charging works if there are multiple devices charging.

And another thing - don't you think the delivery date for the Ultrafine 4k is a bit exaggerated? I mean 8-10 weeks? It said 6-8 weeks as i ordered it, but i received it after a week.

2. iNewbie macrumors regular

I could be wrong but I thought I read that only 1 device can charge the new MacBook Pro at a time.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

4. hussainh1 macrumors regular

Yes, I have two Ultrafine 4k's until the 5k becomes available and it's charging my 15" 2016 MBP

5. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

Yes, mine charges as well. I was just curious to know if there was enough power to charge it while it was under huge workload with two monitors

I actually just called up Apple - the guy asked an engineer, and you guys are right, it only charges one port at a time. So that's of course a bit bummer.

Of course I could always have a charger stationary, but plugging in 4 cables each time is quite a fuss (thunderbolt storage, two 4k displays and a charger). 3 is sufficient!

So I asked him about the release of the 5k-display, and he didn't know anything, and of course he was more interested in selling me a screen up-front than not selling me a screen.

Another solution I thought of could be a USB C "splitter" so I could have the display connected and the charger in the same port. I haven't found any, and I'm unaware if it is even possible

6. tslays macrumors newbie

tslays

Did you find a solution yet?

As far as I see it, the only display that can fully charge the MBP 15" is the LG 5K display... But I don't really need such a big display with this hefty price tag... :-(