Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Hi

Normally, here in Britain, even if you keep your tarriff you can't upgrade your handset until your contract ends (usually 12/18/24 months). If a new iPhone (3G for example) is released in 5-6 months will I be able to upgrade to it or would I have to wait until the contract ends? Thanks.

P.S. Also, is there any chance that iPhone will be released on a second network here in the UK? T-Mobile for example? Thanks

iguanarama

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
Hi

Normally, here in Britain, even if you keep your tarriff you can't upgrade your handset until your contract ends (usually 12/18/24 months). If a new iPhone (3G for example) is released in 5-6 months will I be able to upgrade to it or would I have to wait until the contract ends? Thanks.

P.S. Also, is there any chance that iPhone will be released on a second network here in the UK? T-Mobile for example? Thanks

I asked this a while ago. It's all speculation, but common opinion was they'll likely allow you to upgrade as long as you reset your minimum contract length (from that point) to 18 months again.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

That's my opinion on the matter too - I'd be very surprised if it was any other way.

-Leemo

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Well I certainly hope so!!! That would solve one of my two problems in getting an iPhone:

1) Being mid-contract
2) Not being able to afford it!

...one down, one to go!!

sweetice2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
usually u can only upgrade 30-60 days before dependent on the network ur on.

eg; on a 12month contract you can upgrade on the 10th month - 18th month on the 15/16th month etc etc, i know most of the networks now are charging for the handset and a kind of a upgrading fee on a early upgrade... thats the only way to get a new handset on a early upgrade.

bee27

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
I phoned O2 earlier and spoke with an advisor who had just had his iPhone product/price plan training earlier in the day.

I've been with O2 for years and upgraded my phone in Feb to an N73 with a 12 month contract.

I asked him about upgrading to the iPhone and he explained the process for current O2 customers, goes something along the lines of this:

If you haven't upgraded your plan/phone recently, I think he said since 29 Sept, you can upgrade your plan to one of the 3 iPhone price plans. You wont have to pay the rest of your existing plan to its end, you wont be charged any fees and you can keep your current handset at no charge.

The reasons for this are Apple/O2 want as many people who want an iPhone to be able to get an iPhone (surprisingly) without having to wait for their current contract to end.

If you have upgraded recently you will have to pay a bridging fee of about £200 and something (cant remember the exact figure).

From what I understand you will be setting up a new contract under the iPhone plans (with the SIM already inside the phone) and O2 will just cancel your old one and automatically switch your number.

So in my case I'll be able to get out of my current contract 3 months early, keep my N73 and get a shiny new iPhone with a new 18 month contract. :)

RossoA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
Horsham, UK
I phoned O2 earlier and spoke with an advisor who had just had his iPhone product/price plan training earlier in the day.

I've been with O2 for years and upgraded my phone in Feb to an N73 with a 12 month contract.

I asked him about upgrading to the iPhone and he explained the process for current O2 customers, goes something along the lines of this:

If you haven't upgraded your plan/phone recently, I think he said since 29 Sept, you can upgrade your plan to one of the 3 iPhone price plans. You wont have to pay the rest of your existing plan to its end, you wont be charged any fees and you can keep your current handset at no charge.

The reasons for this are Apple/O2 want as many people who want an iPhone to be able to get an iPhone (surprisingly) without having to wait for their current contract to end.

If you have upgraded recently you will have to pay a bridging fee of about £200 and something (cant remember the exact figure).

From what I understand you will be setting up a new contract under the iPhone plans (with the SIM already inside the phone) and O2 will just cancel your old one and automatically switch your number.

So in my case I'll be able to get out of my current contract 3 months early, keep my N73 and get a shiny new iPhone with a new 18 month contract. :)

I think the original question was when you are halfway through your iPhone contract. Do pay attention.

bee27

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Fair enough.

Still, I think the info may be useful to some forum members mid-O2 contract.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
well apple will want to sell as may iphones as possible, even more so with newer models as this is where they make the real money, so if they got there way with the partnership (as all the press seem to think) i would hope you can upgrade the handset (as in just walking in an apple store and buying one and switching sims or something similar)

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
guys.... think about it for a minute..

you're buying the iphone and _THEN_ connecting it to O2!!. you have the contract with O2 and the SIM. There is nothing to stop you buying another iphone in 6 months time and putting that SIM into the new phone. It'll just work fine.. you don't have to tell O2 anything thing.

The upgrades your talking about are when they are giving or heavily paying for the phone your upgrading to. In the iphone case you're paying for the phone yourself.

You've always been able to take the SIM from one phone and put it into another (assuming the phones are equally locked or unlocked for the network), I do this all the time, when I'm traveling and lose my main phone. Or when I'm going somewhere I run the risk of losing my phone and use an old one.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
well apple will want to sell as may iphones as possible, even more so with newer models as this is where they make the real money, so if they got there way with the partnership (as all the press seem to think) i would hope you can upgrade the handset (as in just walking in an apple store and buying one and switching sims or something similar)
As stated above, I suspect that this will require a re-setting of the 18 month contract period.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
As stated above, I suspect that this will require a re-setting of the 18 month contract period.

Why? How will O2 know and what makes you think they'll care??? the iphone is locked to the O2 network, you buying newer phones just helps keeping you with O2.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
I'm sure there must be a way for them to know; IMEI number for example?

They'll care because the longer they have you tied into a contract, the more they'll make out of you.

Well ok they might be able to tell by IMEI number that's true.. but then again what happens if you broke your old iphone and then go and buy a new one from the Apple store?

Or indeed go to the Apple store and buy a new version one? Will they block calls on it until you tell em and get into a new contract? If so this would be unprecedented, as long as you have a contract with the phone company you can use any phone with them (assuming it's unlocked etc..).

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Any new handset will not be activated via iTunes, I assume the handset and sim card both need activated in order for everything to work? If so then o2 will know if you replace the handset for a newer model.

The rules regarding contracts seem to be rewritten for the iPhone. In the UK buying a handset outright would normally save you from committing to any long term contract as the network have not subsidised anything. If they are forcing you into a 18 month deal then it's perfectly possible they will expect you to renew this if you ever upgrade to a newer iPhone version.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Just to throw a little mix into the bag here guys.

We are assuming that the next updated iPhone (3G, MMS, Higher res camera, 16Gb etc, etc) is going to be on O2.

I read somewhere a month or so ago that Vodafone are going to be after the next iPhone.

If the updated iPhone comes out in 8 months time with all the extras but it is on Vodafone/Orange/T-Mobile then it won't be a simple case of buying a new handset and putting your O2 sim in. You will have to pay O2 to cancel your contract early then take a new contract out with whoever is the new provider. This could make a lot of people very angry.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Just to throw a little mix into the bag here guys.

We are assuming that the next updated iPhone (3G, MMS, Higher res camera, 16Gb etc, etc) is going to be on O2.

I read somewhere a month or so ago that Vodafone are going to be after the next iPhone.

If the updated iPhone comes out in 8 months time with all the extras but it is on Vodafone/Orange/T-Mobile then it won't be a simple case of buying a new handset and putting your O2 sim in. You will have to pay O2 to cancel your contract early then take a new contract out with whoever is the new provider. This could make a lot of people very angry.

Don't think that will happen because O2 have an exclusive contract with Apple. Thought that was for 18months.

BabyMac83

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2007
I work for CPW ... we got in the iphone demo yesterday!!

I try put in my own 02 sim in the iphone sim slot....outcome is it do not work. it come back with warning sign that it is a unregonised sim and ask to activate it on itune.

the connection of accessing the web using edge wireless connection speed is slow...but this does not stop me buyin the iphone ^^

iphone has sign up with 02 for 5 yrs... so every new generation will only be exclusively to 02 network only :)

If you want to cancel the contract early you could do so by taking out carphonewarehouse COMPLETE lifeline insurance where it include option : airtime contact cancellation after 9months. but you will have to return the iphone, lose the right to the contract number and pay the excess fees of £29.50. it is not bad especially for those who want to wait for the next iphone 3g generations :)

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007

I try put in my own 02 sim in the iphone sim slot....outcome is it do not work. it come back with warning sign that it is a unregonised sim and ask to activate it on itune.

the connection of accessing the web using edge wireless connection speed is slow...but this does not stop me buyin the iphone ^^

iphone has sign up with 02 for 5 yrs... so every new generation will only be exclusively to 02 network only :)

If you want to cancel the contract early you could do so by taking out carphonewarehouse COMPLETE lifeline insurance where it include option : airtime contact cancellation after 9months. but you will have to return the iphone, lose the right to the contract number and pay the excess fees of £29.50. it is not bad especially for those who want to wait for the next iphone 3g generations :)

I know you do this 'Contract insurance' on normal contract phones, but why would anyone have to return their iPhone when they payed for the damn thing:confused:

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
I know you do this on normal contract phones, but why would anyone have to return their iPhone when they payed for the damn thing:confused:

The £269 is the price of the phone + contract (£35 a month)
If the phone is released on prepaid in the future it'll be priced as handset only (£399 maybe)

When you return it, the £269 should be refunded.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
>When you return it, the £269 should be refunded.

spot on.

Also, in the UK we have different unlocking laws, so unlike the US, after your 18 months has expired and you cancel your iPhone contract, the phone features will stop working, but everything else will continue, so it's effectively an iPod touch.

BabyMac83

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2007
Oh sorry, what i have heard is you can return the iphone in order to ugrade the 2nd generation handset.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007

I'm fairly sure your demo models are the US version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.