Will unlocked iPhone 6 (A1549) work in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Florida Gator, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Florida Gator macrumors regular

I have an unlocked iPhone 6 A1549, the T-Mobile one, that I currently use in the US on AT&T. I am going to Hong Kong this summer and wanted to see what my SIM card options are.

I understand that China and Hong Kong use 40 and 41 LTE bands, which my phone doesn't support, and would need a A1586 for. But would my phone work with any major networks that offer prepaid data SIMs in Hong Kong? Even if it's just 3G, I'm OK with it.

I see according this this list of LTE networks by country, that there are carriers in Hong Kong that offer LTE on 3, 7 and 8 bands. But having never been there before, I don't know how reliable this is.

Thanks to anybody that can help.

2. kpewpew macrumors newbie

Yes I used my A1549 iPhone 6 in Hong Kong with a local SIM card.

If you pop in one of the SIM cards from those main carriers that you listed, you'll be o.k. and have access to LTE. China mobile may be a no-go for LTE, as they used TD-LTE on those higher bands we don't have. However, I tested a CSL postpaid SIM and got LTE.

Beware though that some of the MVNOs/alternate brand prepaid SIMs may not get you access to LTE even if our phones support it - they have limited features. One that I tried was on the CSL network, but was limited to 3G connections only.

3. Florida Gator thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. Thank you so much!

Anybody have experience with SmarTone?