Will unlocked iphone work in U.S with at&t

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DaVicki, Sep 23, 2010.

1. DaVicki macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an original unlocked iphone (2G). I recently moved to U.S & now want to use it with an AT&T sim card. I have bought a at&t sim with 2 year contract & a free phone along with it. Now i want to use this sim card with my unlocked iphone.

Can anybody tell me if there is any specific process to do this.

- I want to use the data plan
    - I want to be able to use the iphone just like a regular iphone bought in U.S with AT&T contract , i.e, would want to be able to sync with iphones, download the apps for the apple store etc. Is this possible.
    - I want to retain my contacts & messages. I dont mind losing the other settings.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yes, you can use it, but you might as well pick up an iphone 3gs for $100 since you'll be getting 3G data and it will be faster at everything. No matter what you'll be tied down to a 2 year contract.

3. DaVicki thread starter macrumors newbie

But if i put my at&t sim in it & at sync with itunes will i loose my contacts & messages?
    Basically will it restore or lock or do anything of this sort when i sync with Itunes?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you will be able to sync and do everything on itunes with no probs.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

It should restore everything, but at least for your contacts, make sure to sync with windows contacts or outlook so you have a backup copy incase iTunes craps out.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's actually not true since the OP wouldn't be getting a subsidized price for his iPhone. He could conceivably get a lower date plan or even use the phone with another company that offers more competitive pricing.

Of course I would personally go with a newer phone myself too since 3G speeds and the newer iPhones offer a lot more.

7. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

If all you wanted was AT&T SIM card why in the world did you sign a two-year contract???? All you had to do is ask at the store and they would've given it to you. The nice thing about using your iPhone 2G on AT&T now is that you can take advantage of the old unlimited data plan, and when you'll want to upgrade to newer iPhone you'll be grandfathered in unlimited.

8. amro macrumors 6502

I have a UK iPhone 4 (full price meaning officially unlocked from Apple). I swap between my Orang and AT&T SIM cards without any problems.

9. DaVicki thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that sounds cool. So it should work.Gr8 thanks guys for ur help.
    will try this out 2morrow.Hope it goes on smooth.

10. DaVicki thread starter macrumors newbie