Will upcoming iPhone Apps Cost?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brn2ski00, Feb 28, 2008.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I was thinking about the upcoming release of iPhone's SDK and was wondering if the applications created will cost money...

What do you guys think? Yes/No? If so, how much will one application cost?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No one outside of Apple, Inc. knows what the costs will be…
    We can surmise that some may be free and some may cost a few bucks.

3. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

A few bucks? Like $20 for the iPod Touch package?

I am thinking that the majority of applications (depending on the SDK and its ease of use) will be free or under $10.

This is just my opine...

4. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Thats different because you don't subscribe to the iPod touch, and the extra apps were proper Apple ones, and potentially very useful ones at that.

Anyway, like has been said. I expect we'll see a great deal of free ones. But the better ones are going to be £$€. And not especially Apple branded apps either.

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have no idea but I am hoping that the first few weeks will have a bunch of free apps so we can get a feel of how they work, etc...

If they cost money, I doubt I will be buying any to be honest

At least at this moment

6. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Well thats ok then. I don't know about all of you, but I am stoke for some new functionality to one of the best devices ever invented! :)

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

im guessing and hoping that they make them from $3-$5 on average for an app, along with having some free apps to go along with them. im willing to pay for some money for cool apps!

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The iPod Touch package was 5 applications so it was only $4 per application. I would imagine that the typical price point will be around $5 much like the current iPod games.

9. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

That's fine. $3 - $5 per application should be about par for the course....

10. BIrwin49 macrumors member

I hope no more then 5. I wish it would be about 2-3 bucks at most, but I doubt it.

11. gr8ful macrumors member

Most either free or under $10 sounds right to me. If the applications are offered through iTunes and developers don't have to come up with their own purchase and delivery solutions would make that price outstanding -- both from a consumer standpoint and a developer standpoint.

I also expect that there will be some enterprise type applications that will be significantly more than $10.

12. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

But what we also need to consider is the ease of use of the SDK. For all you programmers out there, you know that you can only be as good as the tools you are using. If the SDK is cryptic and a complete mess, we may see higher application prices and slower speed-to-market.

This may be opening up a can of worms though....

13. ajl917 macrumors 6502

I have no problem paying for new apps that are coming out, but I honestly I dont want to have to pay for apps we already have like Summerboard (Although I doubt that would get approved) or NES, or any of Zodttd's creations. Personally, I would pay for something like Flash, Drunkenbass's Video or horizontal texting/emailing.

14. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

$50

I would be willing to pay $50 for a good medicine application like Epocrates or 5 minute Clinical Consult. Even more if neccesary.

15. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Huh?

16. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Sure they will cost money. Yes, there might be some freeware, but any apps of any quality requires a great deal of time, money and effort to develop. Why would anyone expect developers (who have absolutely no affiliation with Apple) to do all this free? I get the feeling the majority of iPhone users are not aware of application development for other Smartphones, like the Treo, Motorola Q, etc. Most of the applications for these platforms cost money. Most prices are in the $20-40 price range. I would expect no difference for the iPhone.

17. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I get the feeling that nobody in this post said anything about free and that most could write a mobile application.

Look up through the thread; price points are listed everywhere.

18. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

Considering that they are announcing the "RELEASE" date of the "BETA" SDK next week. Don’t think you’re gonna see anything worth paying for, for some time.

Just because they are going to release a beta version of an SDK does not mean they will provide any way of getting beta versions of apps onto our phones.:eek:

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ahem… ;)

20. poorbusker macrumors member

I read that article about it being a beta, seems like just a huge lie to me. Also, lets be honest...this is from an Italian website, how many people living in Italy have good contacts inside Apple in California??? Give me a break.

21. cupofjoe macrumors regular

I'd say most apps will cost at least 99 cents.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

23. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

My bet is there will be NO free apps... even if the publisher wants them to be free. You do not keep 18 Bill in the bank and not want that to be 19.

24. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

20 sounds like a nice round number to shoot for.:)

25. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=443909