Will updating brick my iPhone? (2.0)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Okay so basically:

I sold my iPhone before WWDC.

Bought another after WWDC.

Connected to iTunes.

iTunes asked for cell number and SS number (after restore.)

Opened ZiPhone.

Activated, Jailbroken, Unlocked.

Synced my iPhone.

I'm on AT&T in the US.

Was it normal that it asked for my number and SS number? Or does that mean I'm not supposed to use a different iPhone with my old SIM card. Will the same happen if I upgrade to 2.0 and I won't be able to use my iPhone? Thanks.

2. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Another question:

Was the whole asking for my number and SS number just part of the whole "hey this isn't your normal iPhone, but that's okay" sorta thing?

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Sorry, but another question. If I restore first, then restore to 2.0, then restore to backup, will there be any problem?

4. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I just restored back to 1.1.4.
    I went throught the setup until it started asking what plan I wanted and asked for my Apple ID, when I just used ZiPhone again. Are you sure that they wont do anything if I continue? Will they ask the same thing if I go to 2.0?

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Just to clarify, the 2.0 works with Ziphone? I was under the impression that it would just brick the phone until it was hacked.

6. hauss316H macrumors member

same here, anyone know this for sure?

7. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

No it doesn't. What I'm saying is: When I restore my iPhone to 1.1.4, it asks me for my phone number and social security number, then tells me to select a plan. If I continue through this process, I'm scared that I will be charged for something. Will I have to go through the same process when I update to 2.0? Will I be charged?

8. dishman macrumors newbie

Unsupported Carrier will not brick but hold up your iPhone.

If you have your phone unlocked for a different carrier then you will be stuck at the slide for emergency screen. Until the iPhone Dev Team releases their activator/unlocker which gizmodo has.

http://gizmodo.com/5023971/iphone-os-20-unlocked

Also Zibri at ziphone seems to be working on something but it seems that the iphone dev team will beat him to it.