Will upgrading RAM void Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capitanbuzo, Nov 24, 2007.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

So I plan on buying a Macbook Pro once they get updated and plan on adding 4GB of RAM from OWC, and was wondering if this will void the Applecare warrenty? I asked a guy at the Apple store and he said it would but I didn't see why. I know it would void the warrenty if I broke something while I was installng the RAM. If something were to go wrong with the computer, couldn't I just put the original 2GB that will come with the computer back into the machine and send it in like that or is there a way they can tell that I have changed the RAM in the computer? Thanks for the replys.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, it wont void Applecare. When my Macbook base has been repaired they've kindly transferred my third party RAM (as well as the HD and unfortunately the battery, but you can't win them all) over to the new base.

3. partyvega macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

No it will not void the warranty. I did it to a Powerbook, and to several other machines belonging to friends. I have sent in my Powerbook with the upgraded ram and all so no probs. However be careful not to damage anything while installing the ram. Have fun!

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Upgrading the RAM does NOT void your warranty, the guy you talked to at the store is a moron and lied to you.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't void your warranty. I've sent several macbooks to Apple with 3rd party memory and hard drives and no problems.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If you break something, it isn't covered... but it is really simple to do.

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Upgrading your RAM or your Hard Drive will not void your warranty UNLESS you brake something while doing the upgrade/donwgrade.

8. thevibesman macrumors regular

Watch out for the sales people at AppleStores. Maybe it is because I've been using Apple Computers since my Mac Plus when I was two, but any question I've ever had for a SALES person at those stores was usually either inaccurate, incomplete, or they just didn't have an answer for me. Sadly, I often have been waiting at the genius bar and seen sales people giving out incorrect info to customers.

The genius bar tech staff are great and have always been very helpful to me, but just take all info from the sales people at applestores with a grain of salt. What I've seen and read on forums, it seems like they depend most on their personal mac knowledge are in no way trained to be experts. I guess that's why they don't get the expert colored t-shirts of the genuises.

(no insult intended to anyone who works in sales for Apple. I have only visited stores in a few states, so I realize I don't speak for all of them. just from my observation, the level of knowledge in the apple sales staff varies person to person based on what that individual brings to the table.)

9. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the quick reply's. I thought that it wouldn't void Applecare but the man made me question myself.