Will upgrading to 2.1 from jailbroken 1.0 wipe off my data?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by g3ck0, Oct 7, 2008.

1. g3ck0 macrumors member

I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade to 2.1 or not. The thing is, I don't want to risk losing all the data I already have stored in the my jailbroken 1.0. So will upgrading to the legit 2.1 version require that I have all my data (notes, contacts, calendar...) wiped out in the process too?

Thanks for letting me know.

2. intempo808 macrumors regular

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Can't you just backup all your data and restore them after you upgrade?

4. g3ck0 thread starter macrumors member

Would the backup function on iTunes perform this function? Can I restore 1.0 data onto a 2.1?

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Yes, the only data you will not get back is stuff from jailbroken apps. iTunes backs up and restores everything that you can add or change on a stock iphone.

6. g3ck0 thread starter macrumors member

wow, that's good news, since I don't relaly care about my jailbroken apps. So I just hit the backup button, then upgrade and restore? Then I should get everything back except jailbroken apps? How about music and pictures?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

music and pics should sync back through itunes.

8. new for mac macrumors newbie

accidently I did press restore and Itouch 1g screens all black and no any applications so I paid for update to 2.1. Would my Itouch 1g will have a problem later. Thank you.

9. g3ck0 thread starter macrumors member

I would like to help you but you didn't make any sense.

10. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

With 1.0, there are really no features to back up, so go ahead and do a restore. Otherwise, you will have remnants of your old 1.0 Jailbreak apps left over, and they will just be dead space on your iPod.