Will upgrading to iOS 5 mean I will not be able to jailbreak in the future?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by kim319, Oct 22, 2011.

1. kim319 macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with 4.x and I do not care about preserving my baseband.

I'd like to try out vanilla iOS 5 but I'd also like to jailbreak again when an untethered jailbreak is released.

Will upgrading to iOS 5 prevent me in any way from doing that?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

There hasn't been an unjailbreakable iOS yet...why would that start now??

I'm pretty convinced that Apple fights jail breaking to get freebie security support. They patch a jailbreak hole, a new one comes out, they patch that one....so the jailbreak community is constantly showing apple their security vulnerabilities for free!

3. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I'm sure they'll jailbreak iOS5 untethered in no time...

Now with the delta updates etc it might be a little difficult for the average user to jailbreak.

4. kim319 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I had thought that maybe a iOS 5 jailbreak was only possible if you were on a lower version of iOS. I thought you had to jailbreak at the same time that you update to iOS 5 for some reason.

So just to be clear, assuming the untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 will eventually come out, it shouldn't matter whether you are on jailbroken iOS 4.x or vanilla iOS 5?

5. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

the jailbreaking community seems to be breaking apart. No "limera1n" like exploit has been found for all the new devices (iPad 2 and iPhone 4S). The jailbreakme.com is a userland exploit, which is extremely easy for Apple to close it forever..... I think the outlook for untethered jailbreaking is very dim.