Will upgrading to Lion crash my bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by madsobel, Jan 24, 2012.

1. madsobel, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012

madsobel macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

First i am not sure if i posted this in the right forum. But anyways.
    I have a MacBook 2010 and it came with Snow Leopold. Of cause when OSX Lion came i got to have that. But then it suddenly became a demand that everyone at my job should have a Windows machine since macs where no longer supported.
    I had an old copy of Win XP SP2 at home and just thought, then i will just install that using bootcamp. Well it was not that easy. I had to format the whole computer to Snow Leopold again in order to install Win XP, since only Win7 is supported on OSX Lion.

Now i want to upgrade again, so my question is. If i upgrade to OSX Lion again, will it then crash my Win XP bootcamp, or will it work just fine?

Have anyone else had the same problem as me, anything is appreciated :)

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Interesting.....but I think it will be fine since it is only the Lion Bootcamp assistant that no longer supports Win XP.

Since you installed under Snow Leopard I cannot see why it will stop working if you upgrade to Lion.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I agree that it should be OK, but Lion does mess with the partition table in order to create the recovery partition. This could possibly render XP unbootable, but I would think someone would have raised a big stink about it if that were the case.

B

4. madsobel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.
    I will try upgrading later, and let you know about the outcome.

Regards.

5. teeshirt macrumors newbie

Please let us know:) I am very curious.

6. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

As I noted in another thread, I upgraded my Snow Leopard to Lion on Saturday, and it had zero effect on my Bootcamp XP partition. I still play SWTOR way more than I should, and it's been as stable and efficient as ever.

That being said, I still want to upgrade to Win7 and might do so later this week :D

7. robkat macrumors member

robkat

Win XP 0n Lion

Hi.
    I have just installed Win XP on lion using bootcamp.
    Installation went fine, but finding it difficult to get internet connection thro my broadband.
    Any ideas?