Will upgrading to Mavericks fix my recovery partition?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by calabi, Nov 2, 2013.

1. calabi macrumors regular

Hello all!

This year I moved to an SSD and used SuperDuper to clone to my operating system drive over, now I realise I have no recovery partition and cannot create a partition myself.

I'm still on Mountain Lion and was wondering if upgrading to Mavericks will restore/fix the recovery partition as part of the upgrade process?

Thanks for reading!

C

2. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I can be wrong, but I think to install the recovery partition you need to do a clean install. Back up your information to an external HDD , do a fresh install, then use Migration Assistant to bring back your settings and files.

Thats one way I know how to do it. You can also install the recovery partition on an external USB stick or CD, but I am not exactly sure how that works.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes it will : when the recovery partition is missing (BTW : Carbon Copy Cloner does copy the Recovery partition...), reinstalling the same OS (Mountain Lion), or installing a new OS (Mavericks) will create the Recovery parition.

4. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

5. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect! Thank you all for your comments. I upgraded to Mavericks yesterday and sure enough I've got my recovery partition back!

Great news!