Will UPS hold iPhone 6 and let me pick up on release day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sap12690, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

So I was able to locate the tracking and it's coming by UPS on Friday. Do you guys think they'd be able to hold the package at the UPS facility and have me pick it up? I'd rather pick it up on release day morning then have to wait for them to deliver it.

2. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Depends where you ordered it from (Apple/Carrier), but almost 99.9% no as they have strict arrangements with Apple and/or the carrier to not allow holds until one delivery attempt is made. Not to say that some employees won't break the rule, but from past experience with iPhone launches, they just aren't allowed to.

3. Kisey, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Kisey macrumors 6502a

If you're a UPS My Choice member (free), you can have them hold it at a UPS facility for pickup. http://www.ups.com/mychoice/features/

Edit, attached are the delivery options. For premier members, they're all free. It's $5 for all except the last option if you're not a premier member.

Attached Files:

4. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

Yep, I already put in the request for mine to be held. I'll get it when the store opens! :apple:

5. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

since i recently moved, i have to get an activation code from ups for my new address first before i can have them hold it at the facility. ugh!

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Wish I knew UPS offered this feature. I'll be using it from now on.

7. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

My only concern is that having them hold it will delay it for some reason, just worried. I just want to make sure it will be ready for me to pick up on Friday and not a day later

8. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

If you're able to do it, great. I suggest however that you contact them once it starts moving (since likely right now you can't put a hold on something that's sitting who knows where). I'd contact them the day before delivery (provided its either in your local area, or at least en route) that way there's no mix up in them flagging it for hold, loading it on the truck the next morning, scanning it when they get near you and realizing that it was to be held - most times they'll keep on going, and take it back to the depot, leaving you to pick it up Saturday (if they're open) or Monday.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It won't delay anything. I have UPS packages held all the time because my delivery guy takes his time and gets to me at 7PM.

I already have my iPhones held for the 19th and they'll be available to pickup in the AM. Not worried one bit.

10. itjw macrumors 65816

No. If they did this, every frothing at the mouth, can't wait another hour fanboy would be lining up to pick it up instead.

That's why if they do allow it, it won't be until AFTER the driver carts it around all day in his truck (right by your house!).

Then? Sure, you can pick it up after that.

:p

11. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Totally forgot I could do that with My Choice! Thanks!

Our house is, typically, the last stop for our UPS guy, so I should probably take advantage of having My Choice more often.

12. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sarcasm? Haha

13. CKtoph macrumors 6502

It's a pretty automated process. I did this a year ago when I first signed up for My Choice. You simply click a box and that's it. It doesn't get put on the truck for delivery.

There's no really need to call or anything like that.

14. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Right. They place a sticker on the box that says "Hold for Will Call" and if anybody scans it to be on the truck, it will tell them it needs to be held. They won't mess it up.

15. CKtoph macrumors 6502

lol, bitter much? I'm not trying to start something, but you can be angry if you'd like. Weren't able to get a new phone pre-ordered or something? :rolleyes:

Could they mess it up? Sure, but I'll bank on the fact that they won't. Like I said, I'll take my chances and try to pick it up before work.

EDIT: Just read your previous post, I'm confused. Are you being sarcastic or what? lol....#confused

16. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

In the past no way but this UPS MyChoice thing sounds pretty intriguing. To bad mines coming FedEX

17. CKtoph macrumors 6502

hahaha probably...internet problems...

18. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Lol. I was agreeing with you. It's all good.

19. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Give it another week and high drama and panic will set in amongst the pre-order customers. Apple is very entertaining...

20. wxnats macrumors 6502a

It's held at the ups access point...ups.com says there are none within 200 miles of me but since I live in a major metro area ( Northern VA), I find that hard to believe.

21. isaki87, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

isaki87 macrumors regular

Why does it tell me that my residential address is a commercial address? Because of this I am not allowed to sign up!

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

They all seem to be in Brooklyn, NY.

23. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

dont do the UPS access point, select the hold for will call option. They hold it at the Chantilly location. Im also in NOVA and thats what I'm going to do.

24. mikeydooodie macrumors member

ups will hold it for you if you tell them you will not be home to sign for the package. i do it all the time

25. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks for the info!