Will US iPad 2 3G Work On Canadian Networks?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Virtute, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Virtute, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

Virtute macrumors member

I live in Canada, but incredibly close to the border. I was considering crossing over next Friday to buy the iPad 2 instead of waiting till the end of the month to buy it here.

However, the Apple store seems to suggest that the available iPad 2s might be tailored to only work on either the Verison or AT&T networks.

Are they likely to be locked like the iPhone, or should I be able to switch to a Canadian provider in the future by using one of their Micro-SIM cards?

Obviously I could wait until the 25th, but why bother if I don't have to, right?

2. Papa Crown macrumors newbie

I have the exact same question but with the mexican network, specifically Telcel... I imagine they do, I mean the ipad 1 worked if you bought it in the US and brought it over... I'm pretty sure ipad 2 will work also, unless I am missing something?

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

its my understanding that only the CDMA iPad 2 is locked to the U.S., the GSM model will be just like the previous generation iPad WiFi + 3G (worldwide).'s why their is that disclaimer to choose wisely.

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^ choose wisely...i sure wish they just had the possibility to pick which carrier you want through the actual device. That would be great! that would be true competition. as it stands now, you pick a verizon iPad and you're stuck with it!!! At least with ATT you have the ability to swap sims with worldwide carriers.

5. PurpleHeart macrumors member

what are you doing about state sales tax + hst @border ?

I was thinking of doing the same thing since even with almost 1:1 CDN:US exchange rate, the jerks are putting higher price tag on the Canadian release.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

as long as you buy the GSM version it will work on a canadian network, if you get a CDMA verizon version it will not work.

7. Papa Crown macrumors newbie

I imagine the answer is the same for the mexican networks?