will USA iphone work outside USA?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Laith99, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Laith99 macrumors newbie

Hello
    If i get an iphone from USA, will it work in a country apple doesn't support?

i heard something about USA iphone doesn't work outside USA. is that true?

and also there is something called turbo sim i have no idea what this means ?

any help please?

Cheers

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

AT&T iPhone will roam on other countries, you have to call AT&T and activate the roaming service. Data plans are not unlimited and very expensive, avoid using cell data out of the country, use only Wi-Fi. Roaming charges are also expensive on top of the regular monthly service fees.
    There are factory unlocked iPhones, they cost around $700.
    TurboSIM and other things like that might work, but you have to be confident on what exactly are you buying.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you asking about if it will work with other carriers sims as factory unlocked or if your AT&T sim inside the iphone will work in other GSM networks?
    If you purchase an i4 for full price from Apple it will come factory unlocked.
    If you get it from AT&T or any other seller with an AT&T account it will be locked.

4. Laith99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Guys for your answer. and yes i'm asking about if it will work on other carriers so if it's from AT&T it will be locked, even if i unlocked the iphone and lost apple support?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Provide better details!

What type of phone
    Firmware version
    What baseband
    How long are you going to be out of country?
    What do you mean locked even if it's unlocked.
    What do you mean lost apple support shouldn't have anything to with unlocking.

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I've taken my usa 3gs ultrasn0w unlocked iphone to the middle east and it worked just fine on orange and would have roamed on 5 other networks as well.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If your bought your iPhone through AT&T, it is locked to them. To use it in another country, you have two choices:

1. Buy an international plan and pay exorbitant charges.

2. Use a piece of hardware called the Gevey Turbo SIM to unlock your iPhone so that you can use it on a local carrier when you travel internationally.

If you have any questions about Gevey, Google is a really good resource and I'm not being snobby or anything!

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Depending on WHEN it was purchased it MAY still be unlockable. Check your modem firmware. Never assume anything.

We still do not have any specs on this phone...

9. Laith99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Type: iphone 4G
    Firmwork: 4.3.2
    i don't live in USA, but i have a friend who is able to send me one from AT&T. but i'm not sure if it will work on my country or not

Thank you

10. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

IS the iPhone not available in your country? Or is it more expensive?

It looks like the gevey SIM is your best option. http://applenberry.com/store/gevey-sim/gevey-ultra.html