Will USB-C start appearing on the Pro's and iMacs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Psyfuzz, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Assuming USB-C was chosen on the new MacBooks purely as space-saving measure, I suppose the initial reaction would be 'no'.

But assuming Apple sees long-term viability in USB-C and want to keep support up, should they start implementing into other Apple products purely to give the technology more support for third parties etc?

Supposing Apple envisions the future of Mac IO as Thunderbolt & USB-C, surely they'll have to push USB-C into the market more heavily than purely placing it on one of their product-lines.

Having no experience with USB-C in any form I'm interested to see how it performs, but I'll be interested to what reception USB-C gets in the market and whether we'll start seeing USB-C external drives quickly, or whether USB 3.0 will continue being the 'default'.

2. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Not just space saving in the new Macbook, it was for the charging capability too.

Considering the following...
    Apple have already introduced USB-C on the new Macbook.
    USB-C brings faster speeds when USB 3.1 Gen 2 is implemented.
    Hard drive vendors are already introducing USB-C products (LaCie).
    Flash drive vendors are already introducing USB-C products (SanDisk).
    Other vendors (e.g. Chromebook Pixel and Nokia N1 tablet) are introducing new products with USB-C.
    Plus USB-C connectors are smaller which allows more thinness.

This last factor might help a future Macbook Pro 13 inch match the current Macbook Air 13 inch in size/weight and allow Apple to retire the Macbook Air range.

I expect that the next major redesign of the Macbook Pro will get USB-C. The USB-A connectors will soon go the way of Firewire - supported by an adapter, but no native support.

There is an existing thread that covers a lot of this...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1855402

3. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

There had better be more than ONE of them when they get to the Pros