Will USB Ethernet adapter work with 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Yawn66, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Yawn66, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Yawn66 macrumors member

I would like to know if anybody can confirm that Apple's USB Ethernet adapter works with a 2012 11" MBA. Apple's specs only mention it's compatible with MBAs with USB2 ports.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC704ZM/A

I'm well aware of the Thunderbolt adapter and I also know about the issue with FastEthernet vs. GigE. But I'd need the to use the MBA's single Thunderbolt port to attach a DisplayPort monitor. That leaves USB only. And I'd prefer 100 Mbps via a USB2 dongle over wifi.

Thanks.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

3. Yawn66 thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried it?

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't need to try it and I can still guarantee that it will work.

5. Yawn66 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I'm asking for somebody to confirm that this has actually been tried and it worked.

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Look - it would be bizarre for it not to work, as it is an Apple standard and branded part, using a standard interface port. So you can pretty much assume it works unless someone reports otherwise, which is unlikely.

7. Yawn66 thread starter macrumors member

Just because something is unlikely does not mean it doesn't happen. :)

8. Mosco macrumors regular

I think his point is that there isn't nothing special about Apple's USB Ethernet adapter. There isn't anything hardware in the previous macbook air that is required by the adapter. USB Ethernet adapters are standard things that many companies make. The only thing special about Apple's is that they include a driver for it so you don't need to download one.

9. Yawn66 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Mosco. I understand what their adapter does and how it works. But as you correctly point out, you need a driver for it to work. Now in principle Apple could have written that driver so that it does not work on a 2012 MBA. Not likely, I know. But not impossible either. This is Apple after all. That's why I'd like to here from somebody that they've tried it and it worked as expected before I shell out $1500 for a new toy. :)

On a related note, does this adapter work well connected to a third-party USB hub or does it need to be connected directly to the MBA?

10. Yawn66 thread starter macrumors member

bump

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

How will you know that whomever posts in response isn't lying just to mess with you? ;) You're being anal enough about this that it's a possibility anyone who does post confirmation might not actually have tried it.

Yes, it is technically possible that it might not work. Sometimes in life you just need to give stuff a try and see how it goes.

12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Seriously - it's going to work. Obviously noone with both the new Air AND the adapter is willing to comment (or noone has both yet).

Have you thought about calling Apple or your local Apple store?

13. Kungshi macrumors member

It works. It's what I used to transfer files from my iMac via ethernet cable.

14. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I transferred things the same way.

However, I do believe there's some bug in the USB driver, since a while after I disconnected the adapter, my keyboard and mouse stopped responding (though the machine was still up, updating the screen, and working with network). Rebooting fixes it. I've experienced this twice.

To avoid this bug, simply do your work on ethernet, and then reboot after you've disconnected.

15. jksu macrumors regular

yes it works. i used the apple usb-ethernet adapter that i was using with my 2010 11" with the 2012 11" and it worked fine.

also got a thunderbolt-ethernet adapter and that worked fine too (even before i did the thunderbolt os update)

16. Yawn66 thread starter macrumors member

Great news, thanks for sharing! :)

Did you connect it directly to one of the MBA's USB ports? Have you tried hooking it up to a USB hub? Any difference?

17. xenohawk macrumors member

xenohawk

I've used it with a USB 3.0 Hub and works just fine on my 2012 11" Air

18. Yawn66 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, much appreciated! :)