Will USB to RCA work with this?

samca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Hi there. I was reading another thread trying to figure out a way to get my computer to display on this old TV. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible remedying this, and I saw something that nobody mentioned (probably because it obviously wouldn't work). I'm not very savvy, so I'm sorry if this is a silly question.
I'm trying to hook up my brand new MacBook Pro to a 80s/90s TV in my dorm's lobby. The outputs my computer has are Firewire, USB, & Thunderbolt (mini HDMI). The only input on this super-old TV is RCA.
So... I was wondering if this USB-to-RCA cable might work.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-3-RCA-USB-Cable/dp/B003QA5LA0/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

would it?
Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That will not work. The only way for you to get images onto your TV is to buy a converter box. Because your Mac cannot output RCA without one.

Comment

samca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Thank you very much! I've now purchased the necessary components. I apparently have some learning to do about electronics though...

Last edited:
Comment

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Cut and pasted directly from the product description, so no is the answer:

THIS CABLE WILL NOT WORK FOR CONNECTING A COMPUTER TO A TV. You cannot get an image signal through a USB port that way. This cable is not transferring data or files, it is only for viewing images on RCA-equipped camcorders.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.