Will using smc fan control damage my MBP fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hawk1410, Aug 10, 2011.

1. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I have a High end MBP with a 2.3 processor. I am currently using smc fan control and usually run my fans at higher rpm(4000 rpm setting) most of the time and even crank up the fan speed to max at times. Will this damage the fans on my MBP??

2. zjazz macrumors 6502

3. cfII macrumors regular

Umm for better cooling

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The potential is there for you to shorten the lifespan of the fans. The question is how much faster for how long and when you plan on replacing the laptop./

I've run my fans a tad faster because my MBP was running a bit hot. If you're averaging 40s I'd not boost up the fan speed.

You're not really gaining anything by running them faster if the Mac is not overly hot.

5. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i know that the laptop can stand heat and it won't damage the components as they were meant to withstand heat and all. I run the fans at higher rpm when i am using the MBP in my lap as the bottom tends to get hot but if i run the fans at 300rpm or 400rpm the bottom tends to be cool enough to not to be uncomfortable. The temperature in my city are already high and using the MBP on my lap can be uncomfortable.
    I plan on keeping my MBP for at least 3-4yrs.