Will Verizon activate an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thinking about switching over to Verizon. I currently have an unlocked ATT iPhone 6. Will they activate it since there is no technical difference?

cngrevolution

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
No they can't. The GSM phones from att and tmobile although they are identical same model number etc. the CDMA radio is deactivated from the factory. Your better off just returning the phone since it's within the 14 days and buy a verizon iPhone. The cool part about that is that the verizon model is factory unlocked. Contract or not it will work with every carrier in US except sprint, and most carriers around the world.

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
No they can't. The GSM phones from att and tmobile although they are identical same model number etc. the CDMA radio is deactivated from the factory. Your better off just returning the phone since it's within the 14 days and buy a verizon iPhone. The cool part about that is that the verizon model is factory unlocked. Contract or not it will work with every carrier in US except sprint, and most carriers around the world.
Thanks, not exactly the news i wanted to hear but oh well.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
The CDMA chip is not deactivated in the AT&T iphone 6. I literally just tested this last night

However I don't think they would activate it. Get a cheap LTE verizon phone off eBay and just swap the sim to the iPhone. I have a feeling the dumb store reps will give you issues with the AT&T version of the iphone

cngrevolution

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
The CDMA chip is not deactivated in the AT&T iphone 6. I literally just tested this last night

However I don't think they would activate it. Get a cheap LTE verizon phone off eBay and just swap the sim to the iPhone. I have a feeling the dumb store reps will give you issues with the AT&T version of the iphone
How did you test this? We took a att iPhone 6 that was unlocked and put in a verizon SIM card and it tried to read it. Said verizon for a second and then went to no service. We also tried it with a 5s from tmobile that was unlocked.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Are you sure it was an AT&T iPhone 6 then?

The iPhone that AT&T sells doesn't support the CDMA bands. The only way to get an iPhone that supports CDMA bands is to buy the Verizon model outright from Apple/upgrade or buy outright from Verzion (the Sprint/US Cellular/C Spire/etc. models also support the bands but are locked).

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
If you have a Verizon sim already activated it will work the problem is Verizon doesn't let phones on their network that have not been registered with them. The above with the sim will work but must already be on an existing account.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Are you sure it was an AT&T iPhone 6 then?

The iPhone that AT&T sells doesn't support the CDMA bands. The only way to get an iPhone that supports CDMA bands is to buy the Verizon model outright from Apple/upgrade or buy outright from Verzion (the Sprint/US Cellular/C Spire/etc. models also support the bands but are locked).
The bands are enabled this time. It's like the iPad air.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Correct, it was an active line of service. My Verizon was showing an unknown device being used

Volte also worked perfectly in the AT&T iphone

As I stated above just get a cheap LTE phone or even go to the verizon store and activate the phone under one of the demos and just move the SIM card back to your phone

Dallious

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
just took my Verizon 6 sim and put in into my att 6+ phone and it said the sim is not for that phone carrier

libu

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Thinking about switching over to Verizon. I currently have an unlocked ATT iPhone 6. Will they activate it since there is no technical difference?
Like everyone else said-

Only Verizon IMEIs work on the Verizon network. You cannot use a non-Verizon device on Verizon's network.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I thought it was two individual models?

What's the model number on the AT&T?
They're both A1549

If you're talking about the model number shown in settings:

My original one was MG4W2LL/A (AT&T iPhone 6 SG 64GB).
My Genius Bar replacement is MG312LL/A and the invoice shows this description: iPhone 6, MM, 64GB, Space Gray, CI/AR (note how CDMA/GSM isn't mentioned at all - this wasn't the case in the past)

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
They're both A1549

If you're talking about the model number shown in settings:

My original one was MG4W2LL/A (AT&T iPhone 6 SG 64GB).
My Genius Bar replacement is MG312LL/A and the invoice shows this description: iPhone 6, MM, 64GB, Space Gray, CI/AR (note how CDMA/GSM isn't mentioned at all - this wasn't the case in the past)
Ahh ok. I know they split the iPhone 5/5S models so I assumed the 6 had split models as well.

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Like everyone else said-

Only Verizon IMEIs work on the Verizon network. You cannot use a non-Verizon device on Verizon's network.
Technically not true. Verizon will not activate a non-Verizon device but it seems like according to their agreement with the FCC on the 700MHz band license, they can't block compatible devices from using their network. Not sure what the implications are for phones which still need CDMA for calls and the eventual VoLTE rollout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.