Will Verizon ever get the IPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cindynjgirl79, May 5, 2007.

1. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

so does anyone really know? face it we thought u could only get ipods at the apple store and on-line, now they are at wal-mart and target!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would say yes, but not till after apple's contract with Cingular/ATT runs out which I think is in 2009.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

no one here is really going to know. that said, i don't think it will ever happen. apple wants to make a phone they can sell worldwide, and gsm is much more popular than cdma. while motorla makes many of their popular phones in cdma and gsm flavors, i don't see apple following this route. if you really want an an iphone and are stuck with verizon, i wouldn't hold out hope.

4. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Agreed.

On an off-topic note, now I really want a Slurpee.

5. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Verizon just might be able to carry the iPhone only if Apple is willing to make a CDMA version of it. Otherwise, there's no chance that Verizon will sell the iPhone (unless they ditch their CDMA network and make a GSM one instead :p )

Edit: I just wanted to add: Keep in mind that GSM and CDMA hardware are significantly different from each other.

6. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

No, Verizon won't get the iPhone. Apple had planned to use Verizon as the exclusive carrier over Cingular. Verizon rejected Apple's deal.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-01-28-verizon-iphone_x.htm?POE=TECISVA