Will Verizon force customers out of unlimited data eventually?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ICYBLUE1203, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ICYBLUE1203, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

ICYBLUE1203 macrumors newbie

I have no complaints about Verizon except for their data speeds and issues I've been having in my new home. I was using a temporary Droid Bionic between my iPhone 4 and 4S with no issues and the LTE speeds were awesome.

My question is... Will Verizon ever force customers out of unlimited data? I would stick with Verizon for another year or so with the hope of the iPhone 5 having LTE and maintaining my unlimited plan.

PS - Has AT&T's service improved in the Los Angeles area?

2. jbouklas macrumors regular

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

It is hard to say, but it seems they will do anything to try and get you on a tiered plan. I bought my 4S at the apple store, and when the employee was writing up the order on his iPhone device, I had to "choose" my data plan even though I was just upgrading. The first plan listed was the $30 2GB plan. I told him I had unlimited and he had to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to see the umlimited plan was avaliable to me. If somebody was not paying attention, they could easily just choose the 2GB and lose their umlimited data, especially if the customer and the rep are just looking at the price.

4. ICYBLUE1203 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the reason why I didn't preorder from Verizon when the Apple site was down. They were forcing me to pick other options that were not the same as what I already had for data and text. I honestly don't go over 2GB (right now) so wondering if it's worth it.

What about real test results? Does speedtest.net really determine anything?

5. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

i use about 2-4gb/month depending on the month and I've never had slower speeds; etc after hitting 2 gb. Verizon is pretty good with keeping the unlimited. My father was taken off the Unlimited plan by some idiot employee when he was switching his blackberry and 1 call to Customer service got it put back on, they sent a special request since a verizon rep messed it up in the first place.

6. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

That actually only applies to 3G. 4G is still all you can eat and as long you had unlimited data when the tiered plans went hot, you should keep unlimited for as long as you maintain a data plan on that particular line or, for whatever reason, decide to give it up and purchase a tiered plan. At least this is how it has been explained to me when I asked VZW CS.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

AT&T and Verizon and others will force people off shortly..whether it is the next phone or not I am not sure. But, it will come.

There is no way they will want people having unlimited for the next few years. They will want people paying the tier prices with fees/penalties on overages. More money for them

We were first told that they had to impose caps due to heavy users downloading 24-7. Somehow in the last few years, heavy users are suddenly people watching several Netflix movies in HD. It is comical and pathetic at the same time.

8. ICYBLUE1203 thread starter macrumors newbie

Decided to stick with Verizon. It slipped my mind, but if I ever switch phones, it would be something on Verizon so it makes sense to stick with them. Verizon phones tend to be cheaper than ATT phones on Craigslist.