Will Verizon get the iPhone 5 in June, or will they wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanb914, Feb 6, 2011.

1. ryanb914 macrumors member

What does everyone think will happen, when the iPhone 5 comes out? Will Verizon get it, or will they have to wait a year?

2. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

Question of the year...I think it will be a small upgrade across the board. 4s?

3. tec2030 macrumors newbie

I think it will be a 4s as well. I don't think we'll see a very big upgrade this june...I think it will be juen 2012 before we see another major redesign...

4. LapsangSouchong, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I don't think we'll see an iphone 5 til feb 2012. I think we'll all get a substantial OS upgrade this summer. And maybe an ipad2...

5. coasterswim macrumors 6502

I love how people are calling a jump like the 3G -> 3GS "not substantial." Go out right now and spend a day with a 3G and a day with a 3GS and tell me that the difference isn't substantial.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think it's real cute. First it is, "when will VZW get the iPhone?" Now it is here and it is "when will they get the iPhone 5?" I think asking when the next version comes out is highly productive. What is wrong with the iPhone 4? I mean, it exists ... that in it of itself makes it better than the iPhone 5. ;)

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i think what there referencing was that there was no physical redesign between the two models.

I think they'll fix the antenna but keep it physically the same, make it for ATT/Verizon, and pack in some extra power/improved software. Then of course there will be that one feature (something along the same lines as battery percentage) that only the new iPhone will have, and then everyone will whine about how they're entitled to the feature because they bought an iPhone 4...and everyone who bought on verizon will whine about how they're entitled to the $200 price even though they're 4 months into their fresh contracts

8. utneon macrumors regular

apple won't stop bussiness just because of americans... 101 Bussiness. there will be a new iPhone.

will it be there on verizon? well it depends if either apple makes it compatible with both carriers or not... just that

9. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

I doubt they will hold back from releasing a new iphone just beacause verizon

10. Vizin macrumors 6502a

I think people just want to be sure that Apple won't treat Verizon iPhone customers as sort of second-class citizens when it comes to hardware release cycles. Some people worry that the CDMA iPhones will always be on a February release cycle, and they'll always be 7-8 months behind.

Personally, I think the iPhone will remain on an early-to-mid summer release cycle, and the CDMA iPhone 5 will come out at the same time as the GSM model. Sure it might piss off some early adopters, but simply not having it available would piss off more people. Bumping the whole release schedule back just to avoid releasing the 5 so soon after the VZW 4 would piss off GSM iPhone users around the world, not to mention their shareholders.

Apple has shown they're willing to upset early adopters. Remember when they dropped the original iPhone price by 1/3rd less than three months after launch? (sure they made good with the $100 credit, but still)

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I do not believe they will hold back releasing a 4S or 5 or whatever is the next model. The only question is will they hold it back from Verizon or not...