Will verizon iPhone 4 have software update so...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taeeumin, Feb 2, 2011.

1. taeeumin macrumors newbie

I can browse web or use app that require network while Im on a phone call?
    or It will only available with next generation verizon iPhone?

2. landscapeman macrumors regular

I know that the LTE phones will be able to use data and talk at the same time, even on 3G. But I am unsure if the iPhone has the hardware.

3. cjthebest macrumors member

No. The Verizon iPhone is a CDMA phone and no software update is going to change that. CDMA networks don't support simultaneous data/voice transfer, only GSM networks do. You can get an AT&T iPhone if you wish to use data/voice at the same time.

4. patp Guest

as long as the phone is a cdma phone it will not be able to do calls and surf web at same time.
    software update won't change it.

a new version of the phone and the eventual roll out of 4g lte type networks and its another ballgame altogether.

5. landscapeman macrumors regular

Brad Shewmake, a spokesman for the CDMA Development Group, confirmed to the Journal that a solution that will allow CDMA subscribers to access voice and data at the same time will be commercially available in the first half of 2011. August 2009 the CDG announced that specification, called SVDO. The new service will allow CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call.

Read more: Verizon working on simultaneous voice and data for CDMA - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...-voice-and-data-cdma/2010-10-11#ixzz1CqMpCx3E
    Subscribe: http://www.fiercewireless.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceWireless-FierceWireless

6. taeeumin thread starter macrumors newbie

Droid X with verizon have capable of doing web browsing while on a phone call.

7. patp Guest

really? My co worker who has a Droid X cannot surf and take phone calls at the same time.

can you show me some a link where this can be proven?

8. taeeumin thread starter macrumors newbie

very interesting forum I found..
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/8099-browsing-during-phone-call.html

yes, she was on a call and browsing web same time on a wifi network...
    I should check with my sister's Droid x again if it was on a wifi or 3g network...

9. patp Guest

when you say something you should be able to back it up. posting random psuedo facts that are just incorrect does not serve anybody.

you claim that a cdma phone has the ability to take voice calls and surf the web at the same time (alluding to while on the network). None of us have seen it. If you know how to accomplish this, it could be the major break through all of us CDMA users have been waiting for.

Please, sorry if I seem a little aggro. But please refrain from spreading mis information.

10. taeeumin thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, her phone is a cdma phone and I saw her doing surf and talk, but she wasn't on a 3G network while she was doing surf and talk.
    and I provided the web site that can describe why cdma phone works surf and talk.

answer: even it is cdma phone you can surf and talk only on a wifi network but 3G network with droid x.

11. patp, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

patp Guest

1- you didn't clarify that in your first statement. we all know you can surf via wi fi.
    2- You say you can surf and talk while on a wi fi network. and you can do same on 3g network? Your English is a little difficult for me to understand.

12. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

You can not surf and talk on 3G on any of Verizon's CDMA phones. Wifi is a different story.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    Only if you're connected to wifi.
    Not using carrier 3G data.

14. taeeumin thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, english is not my first language...
    let's not get offensive here.
    I started this thread to get more information not to argue with some one saying you are right or wrong....

Sorry I wasn't sure, if she was on 3G or wifi, when she showing me surf and talk with verizon droid x.

Bottom line is, Now I know the fact that cdma with 3G (not wifi) is not capable of doing surf and talk!

hope your rest of the day is better! :)

15. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Simple answer is not this version.

Rumor has it the next one will have SVDO which will allow it, but regardless in Summer 2012 the LTE version should drop and it will be a non-issue, again, but that's a good time away. SVDO is a CDMA tech. So using a SVDO capable CDMA chip it WILL do both on a CDMA Network. The way it works is it basically has 2 radios. One for data, and one for voice. So it is more of a hack/workaround than a Tech Change.

SVDO is coming on some new Android phones, at least one is confirmed, but that's a moot point.