Carrier Will Verizon networks get overloaded with this new promo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppFanGirl, Feb 14, 2017.

1. AppFanGirl macrumors newbie

AppFanGirl

I am currently on a grandfathered unlimited ATT with good speed performance. The cost for the single line is about the same between ATT & VZN unlimited. Two reasons I'd switch to VZN are tethering and a free trade-in to a 7Plus. I was just about the make the switch, and then I read an article that stated Verizon networks are going to be overloaded with all these new unlimited plans and their actual capacity cannot handle it and speeds will suffer.

So, trying to decide if I should just hold tight on AT&T, because at least the speeds should remain as good or better than in the past.

Any thoughts?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd still make the switch.
    You'll get a new i7 that's fully unlocked for both CDMA and GSM carriers.
    And if you dont like it you can always switch later.
    In general with Verizon their LTE network is old and their data speeds have been suffering and been slow for years. And with a higher surge of new unlimited clients that will stream and use more data and personal hotspot this can become even worst down the road.

3. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Not even 1/10 of 1% of people on VZW will switch plans, much less suddenly change their data usage drastically.
    These deals are to try and grab that "switcher" market; the same amount of people coming to VZW for this deal, will be leaving for the new TMO deal...
    There aren't infinite wireless customers; there are an increasingly smaller amount of new ones each year- & the churn these deals create.
    You are in no danger of suffering from an overloaded network, from a "kinda decent" deal- in Verizon's wildest dreams would this be a concern of theirs.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why would you give credence to an article that made nothing more than baseless guesses? The Verizon network will be fine.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know, I dont consider myself a "switcher" but I switched a year ago from AT&T to Tmobile for their unlimited deal. And I was with AT&T since 1998 so its not only the "switcher market" that leaves a carrier if there's a better deal.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

With Verizon I currently pay $138/month for 3 iPhones and 14GB of data. (carry over and overage protection included).

the new unlimited plan they are offering would be $50 more per month. Not worth it to me.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not a great deal for everyone but its a good available option to have. Many years ago we didnt have much options for data besides 1-2 different plans.
    Now you get less than 5GB per month for each device.
    With this plan you would get 10GB's of personal hotspot per line and unlimited data.
    If you dont use that much or wont need that amount of data then its not a good option for you.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm in a somewhat similar boat paying the same $138/month although for 4 phones and 15 GB of data (without carry over or overage protection as it's a slightly older plan). That's not counting DPP for a couple of devices that is separate.

Going with unlimited, since my corporate discount wouldn't apply and the line access cost for each phone would go up from $15 to $20, would cost at least $42 more every month. It's not too bad in the sense of having unlimited data instead of shared data, but doesn't seem to be worth it for me at the moment either.

That said, wouldn't unlimited for 3 lines be $160 (with auto pay discount), which means it would be more like a difference of $22 per month more? Unless you have some lines that are in contract perhaps and the line access would cost more or something like that?

9. daynoock macrumors member

I used to work for a UK network that offers unlimited data and customers would think they're high users and want unlimited, but when you check their use it's nearly always less than 10gb a month and often 2-4gb, so I wouldn't worry about overload, people may join for the unlimited plan but in reality won't use much

10. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Very true, I think a lot of people want unlimited just so they don't have to think about it. I know that's why I love my unlimited plan, I can stream or download whatever and wherever without worry about exceeding my cap.

11. daynoock macrumors member

Yup, I had unlimited for years but I never use more than about 15gb, I currently have 30gb and I never have to worry about going over. I remember years ago having to wait to find wifi midway through the month cuz all my data had gone!

12. beaver82 macrumors member

I wish they'd bring back the XL plan. At this time I don't need unlimited and but the L plan is almost too small for us. I also don't wanna be dropping over $200 a month for two lines with device payments. /end rant