Will Verizon unlock older iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruceleeroy, Nov 16, 2014.

1. bruceleeroy macrumors member

I just got the 6 and I'm still under contract with Verizon. I want to give my older 5 to my brother who is on T-Mobile. Will Verizon do that? What's the easiest way to go about it? Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Per orders from the FCC allowing Verizon to use it's LTE frequency, Verizon must sell all phones using that LTE frequency fully unlocked.

In other words, you don't have to do anything. Right now, right this minute the iPhone 5 is unlocked. It was unlocked the day it was purchased.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's already unlocked so you will be fine doing that.

4. bruceleeroy thread starter macrumors member

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's been fully gsm unlocked since the day you got it.

6. ineel macrumors regular

Your iPhone 5 is already unlocked, all Verizon LTE devices are unlocked out of the box. The only problem your brother will run into with T-Mobile is that the Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't have support for T-Mobile's LTE network. You need LTE band 4, which is not available on the Verizon iPhone 5. It is however available on the T-Mobile/at&t iPhone 5. Your brother will be limited to HSPA+ (4G).

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i've found that in some locations t-mobile's 4g speed was faster then verizon's or at&t's LTE. so its nothing to feel bad about.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

All you have to do is buy a T-Mobile SIM card. If he wants LTE though he might want to trade it in toward a T-Mobile 5s.