Will W8 run on Macs

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macneubie, Oct 29, 2012.

1. macneubie macrumors regular

With the newly-released OS from Microsoft, will there be updated drivers from Apple?

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Eventually.

But W7 is an excellent Windows OS and metro is a PITA.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'm not sure how long it will take Apple but I doubt it's a priority. I still can't get the TrackPad to work under a fresh install of Win8. (Other boot camp drivers I can install manually).

I thought Win8 had some trackpad gestures built in. Not for Apple I guess.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

It will function, but to what level will be down to your machine and expertise in getting it set up.

5. ZenErik macrumors 6502

It runs great via Parallels 8 for me. Not sure if and how it runs via Bootcamp. I don't like rebooting any time I need to use Windows... Like for work every day.

6. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I'm currently running Windows 8 Pro on my iMac 2011 through bootcamp, so far everything seems to be working perfectly with the exception of full brightness..

Hopefully we see proper drivers from Apple for Windows 8 soon..

7. children macrumors regular

more or less everything works for me (retina 15), except trackpad gestures, in fact, the only gesture that works is the 2 finger scroll..

8. JLemm macrumors regular

if you install all drivers under windows 7 then upgrade (not clean install) the drivers will tranfer and you wil be able to use all gestures, at least for me it worked. although my windows 8 kept getting the POOL error and would keep making me restart..

9. Yamcha macrumors 68000

You can actually install the Windows 7 Bootcamp drivers on Windows 8.. They seem to work for the most part..