Will warranty cover cracked key?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tharris0101, Oct 5, 2011.

1. tharris0101 macrumors member

My MBP is 11 months old and I have not (as of yet at least) purchased AppleCare on it. It has a cracked apple key on the keyboard and otherwise is in immaculate condition. I can't remember when the key cracked (a few months ago) but I'm sure it was from wear and tear (this computer gets used a ton).

Will the apple store cover this repair or deem it as wear and tear? I remember my old white MB they replaced the case because it was cracking but I think that was because it was a known problem.

Secondly... I have a few weeks left to buy AppleCare. Two years of coverage for $350? I'm torn on whether I should get it or not. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for help and advice.

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Take it to the bar, they'll probably replace just the key if possible.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

If the key itself is cracked it should be as easy as snapping it off and putting on a replacement. Sometimes service centers including apple stores will have broken or damaged models lying around to serve as donors for these types of fixes.

If they give you a hard time you can use buying apple care as a bargaining tool. The margin they make off the warranty is enough to motivate them to do such an easy fix for no charge.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Personally, I think AppleCare is great. But do some checking around online before you purchase it. You can often get it cheaper from places like Amazon, etc.

5. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I just received my Apple care about a week ago for my 2010 15" MBP. Hopefully i wont need it. This machine is a beast that never once gave me trouble since Nov. of last year. However, If it does decide to start in, Im glad Apple care is there.

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The consistently least expensive online source for Applecare is the L.A. Computer Company. It's an authorized Apple reseller and has great service too.

Beware Applecare sold on eBay. Most of the offers are scams, including sellers who sell the same serial number to multiple buyers (they e-mail the codes) and even counterfeit Applecare boxes.

The Apple online Applecare registration Webpage will accept multiple identical serial numbers. The buyer won't know that he/she has been scammed until it comes time to use the warranty. Only the first registration for the serial number is considered valid by Apple.

Applecare for MBP 13"

Amazon $249 http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Pro...J2V6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317853590&sr=8-2

L.A. Computer Co. $180 http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=10125

7. xdbuix macrumors 6502

buy from BH video. $150 for 13", and $250 for 15/17". It's an amazing price and is legit. That's how I got my applecare.

8. Jrv macrumors regular

Well, if you're spending upwards of 2000 dollars on a computer, a 250 dollar warranty that extends coverage by 3xs seems like a given.

9. tharris0101 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I never knew you could buy applecare elsewhere for so much cheaper. I'm definitely going to get it now.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

There is an educational discount available on Apple Care as well.

11. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Could you please share a link to this pricing. When I find applecare on bhphotovideo.com, the best price I can find is 190$ for the 13" models. LINK

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

13. jeffreyj900 macrumors newbie

I'll add my experience. I had a late 2008 MBP, high end model, with apple care. It never gave me an ounce of trouble. However, my delete key came loose, not cracked. It wouldn't stay on. I took it into apple. Guy took it in the back for like 20 minutes. Came back out with several delete keys, but didn't have one for mine. I asked if he was going to order one. He said they can't order one the have to replace the top case (ie: metal bottom part of MBP and keyboard). WOW! They did, but when I got it back they had also replaced the logic board. Everything looked great until I fired it up. Display was now wonky. Took it back. He said they needed to replace the whole display, clam shell and all. I said ok... WOW! Unfortunately, it came back again and it wasn't fixed. They switched out the logic board again which didn't fix the problem. So, they ended up giving me a new 2011 15" MBP. I asked if I could pay to upgrade to the hi-res anti glare screen. He said no problem. The only one they had in stock was one with the 2.3 ghz upgrade. I said OK. Expecting to pay $400.00 for the two upgrades. Drove to the store and the guy ended up swapping it out even. WOW! He asked if that would be OK. I said sure. He said would you like to buy apple care. I said YES! To think I looked on ebay for a key before taking it into the store :eek:

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

They replaced my 3 year old Macbook's (out of warranty, never got AppleCare) F2 key when it snapped off!

It's very inexpensive to Apple and they know these small favors will win customers back again and again.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I _always_ buy AppleCare for each new Mac Computer I purchase.

That said, take it to a genius at the Apple store and see what happens.

While generally they will help you out within reason.

Some can be hard nosed and unhelpful.

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

That is pretty much the exact thing that happened to me, with the swap exactly like you received. Of course I bought Apple Care once again.

17. tharris0101 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I just ordered AppleCare from one of the vendors above. Now, I haven't ordered AppleCare for a few years and never from a third party. What are the steps here? I assume they ship me a code and I enter it into Apple's website with my serial number, correct? Thanks once again for the tips everyone.

18. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Simply register the serial number on the Apple website when the Applecare box arrives.

19. GotMeAMac macrumors newbie

Applecare for a refurbished MBP

Newbie here. Just bought a refurbished MBP. Have been checking out some of the threads about applecare, specifically where to buy it for cheaper than what Apple.com and Store sells it for. Just wondering, would the applecare work bought off eBay still work on a refurbished? Or would I have to buy it through the Apple store? Any advice would be appreciated.