Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
... or do we have to finish it at home? anyone have any clue?

tchait

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
you will be able to make phone calls from the iPhone 3G when you leave the store, but you may still receive incoming calls on your old cellphone for 6-8 hours if you are porting your number. i found this out this morning at an apple retail store.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
... or do we have to finish it at home? anyone have any clue?

Currently, with the information available, it is believed that the devices must be 'unbricked' in-store, attached to a contract,
and then you finish registering the device, through iTunes 7.7, when you get home.

Whether you can make calls, before finishing the registration process, is doubtful.

[No longer relevant - see below]

R-Fly

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Currently, with the information available, it is believed that the devices must be 'unbricked' in-store, attached to a contract,
and then you finish registering the device, through iTunes 7.7, when you get home.

Whether you can make calls, before finishing the registration process, is doubtful.

R-Fly

Based on the front page of MR:
— best of all — have your new iPhone 3G ready to make calls, browse the web, and receive email right on the spot.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
but it does say on the o2 website that you purchase your phone instore pick your tariff, then you have to activate your phone using iTunes?

Check Here

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
you may still receive incoming calls on your old cellphone for 6-8 hours if you are porting your number. i found this out this morning at an apple retail store.

It probably depends on luck of the draw. I got mine on Christmas day and activated it then. I ported my number from Verizon and I was making/receiving calls within 5 minutes of activation. I was quite amazed at the speed and the beauty of the automation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.