Will we be able to tether the iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macsterling, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I currently have a 3G USB Internet thing from AT&T I use for my MBA when I can't get Internet access. I just signed up a week ago and have till the 20th of this month to cancel the 2yr contract for this data device which is $59 monthly limited to 5gbs a month. I would think that a company or even AT&T will develop a cable to do this along with a third party app of some sort. I mean, I've seen people do it with Blackberrys, Razors etc. Anyone else have thoughts on this matter?

2. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Legally, the iPhone doesn't tether. However, unlocking/jailbraking/3rd party applications may allow this, and infact I believe this works for the 1st generation iPhone. But, it does violate the contract and the T&Cs of AT&T and Apple, so I don't condone it, and I'd avoid doing it - best to get some sort of Pay as you go USB 3G stick?

However, I've never used an iPhone, but I've heard that many people prefer iPhone browsing to computer browsing, so it's just personal preference.

Good luck! :)

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

If it is possible, it will cost you more to have it enabled. Other phones charge ~60 USD for tethering plans. No third party apps will allow it as it violates the terms of your contract.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not possible without hacks on ATT. Maybe possible in other countries depending on carrier.