Will WE BE ABLE to UPGRADE the 3G when...???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hiimamac, Aug 3, 2008.

1. hiimamac macrumors 6502a

hiimamac

Everyone with a $399 iPhone 8 or $499 16 could upgrade no problem, so the word was from an Apple employee, yeah, we should be able to upgrade as that's a perk of owning a iPhone.

But now they are subsidized so do you think if 4.5 G comes out (after we can all have 5 bars with 3G, although honestly, 1 bar 3G can still = 1362kbps, will be be able to upgrade? Or a new NANO phone?

Please advise!

Thanks.

I mean, you would think if you had a 3G you might want a NANO phone and swap the SIM out - - that why I think its included, plus the fact when something goes wrong at apple and the SIM becomes DEAD without opening the BOX, APPLE now has SIM cards.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Right now both price plans for the 3G, $199/$299 and $399/$499, count as a full upgrade.

That means it will be 20 something months before you are eligible for an upgrade.

So whether you paid $199 to $499 for a 3G this round, if a new model comes out next year, your only choice will be the early upgrade at the $399-$499 if that stays the same, but not the lowest price.

People that bought the original iPhone didn't buy it subsidized, or it wasn't considered that then with the unique plan between Apple and ATT. And the rules of upgrade eligibility stated the iPhone would not start it over. So if they gave you a free regular phone, then got an iPhone right after, you were no off the hook for that other phone. So technically, not all iPhone owners were eligible to upgrade to the $199 3G price. But ATT made a special case, making all accounts with an iPhone plan instantly eligible, even if they got a free black berry a day before the iPhone. That started a loophole, where even I borrowed a friends iPhone to activate on my account, letting me get my 16gig at $299, otherwise I wasn't eligible until November.

So no matter what, this time, if you have a 3G iPhone, if you want some newer model before you are eligible, you are going to have to pay the higher early upgrade price.

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well no one really knows how that situation will evolve in the future. At&T could always change their policy to let all of the current owners to upgrade at the lower price in return for a new 2 year contract.

We signed 2 year contracts for the 1st gen. iphone, yet were allowed to take advantage of the subsidized price to get the 3g in return for a new 2 year contract.