Will we ever be getting another driver update for the x3100 in OSX?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kreator, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kreator macrumors newbie

I know there was a major update awhile back that made dramatic improvements for the x3100 in osx, but it seems its still unusable for gaming in OSX. I have tried WOW,Warcraft 3,Sim City 4,Call of Duty2, and they all run like crap in OSX. I tried WOW in windows and it was marginally better (via bootcamp). I am sure there are a lot of reasons why games run better in windows (such as the opengl renderer in WOW is slower than the direct3d one etc), but I know the drivers are newer in windows. I have googled etc, but I haven't seen anything that shows if we will get any updated drivers for the x3100 in OSX. Does anyone know if there are plans and what the timeline would be? I don't plan to game on my macbook, I didn't buy it for that obviously, but I hate dual booting and I hope to at least be able to play starcraft 2 in windowed mode with low settings without it being a slideshow.

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well the video drivers of 10.5.4 are known to be buggy, so I would wait for 10.5.5 because hopefully there will be updated video drivers in that update (at least I'm waiting for it lol).

3. Uoila macrumors member

Don't count on it .... I don't think apple really cares that much. If you want performance graphics.... give them more money for a Pro. I think they will change chipsets and graphics before they release better drivers for the X3100.

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Apple does seem uninterested in updating the X3100 driver, which is strange since it continues to be a main graphics card in several of their machines, including the "fancy" MacBook Air. In my opinion, the driver works fine for most everything -- the only thing that gives it trouble is major 3D pixel pushing, which for me is World of Warcraft. I get the glitches and am forced to redraw the screen to correct them periodically. It's mildly annoying, but I've gotten pretty used to it. Warcraft 3 and a lot of older 3D games that don't push the card as hard don't glitch up at all for me. I can play WC3 for hours and everything's fine.

That said, I'd actually buy an improved driver from Apple if that's what it took to make my WoW sessions a little less annoying.

Apple's stated answer to the problem, by the way, is that the MacBook is not designed to play WoW, so you should expect problems if you do. Or you should buy a MacBook Pro. :)