Will we ever get a non-JB intelliscreen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ubuntu, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings all,

I love my iPhone 4, its a fantastic phone and I'm rather happy with it as the camera is great so no real complains there, but there's just this gap where there should be some sort of decent notification system. I'm not a huge fan of the somewhat basic alert system but my real issue is with the lack of an at-a-glance information system. I'd love it if I could add notes to the lock screen or get other updates like intelliscreen, or even something like SBSettings - does anyone else miss this functionality?

They also need to fix some poor programming issues. I had about 20 apps to update but I ran out of space after 3 of them to which the phone decided to display 17 error messages (but I just killed the app instead) - that seems like a really silly mistake to make, instead of just collating the errors into one.

But anyway, I really want some sort of intergrated notes system atleast. To me the point of a notes system is to remind myself of something - its a bit useless when I have to remind myself to launch the application first. I'm using the alarm clock for notes now but that doesn't really cut it.

2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I think notifications is the iPhone's only truly huge weakness. It is the worst system out of pretty much all smartphone OSs. I think Apple knows this...though I was surprised they changed nothing when 4.0 was released--maybe it's more complicated to overhaul the notifications system than believed who knows? I do think that 5.0 will introduce a major redesign of notifications, I don't think they have a choice....the calls for a better system grow very very loud with every passing day.

3. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

it's been confirmed to be on Verizon's iPhone.

4. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I don't get what is wrong with the notification system? Just curious as to why everyone complains.

5. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Wow, you can't be serious.

People "complain" because of how ancient the notification system is. It piles on the notifications and forces you to deal with it right there and then with no delay function.

As to a better lockscreen, that would be welcome. The current lockscreen is......useless.

That being said, while Apple take their sweet time - they deliver. I expect a ridiculously amazing notification system this summer.

6. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Yeah, I was serious. Just never had a problem with the notifications. Just hit close as the notification comes through and you have no problem.

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

If I had your phone number, I would send you about 100 text messages within a few minutes. Tell me how your phone will even be usable.

8. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

why not use the calendar for reminders?

there is a notes part to each calendar entry...

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

I miss Intelliscreen and SBSettings, esp the former when I had it for the first gen. I had my appointments, news, and weather all in one screen. And when I didn't want to glance on it, I could always tap the clock and it would flip the screen. I had a hacked Intelliscreen and a much earlier one. Since I don't JB anymore and sold my previous iOS devices, I don't have it anymore. But those were the good times when JB was still fresh and alot of apps were free. I used the Lockscreen Info one, and while it was pretty good for my calendar stuff, it still didn't compare to Intelliscreen and this is when iOS was still on 1.1.4.

10. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I have gotten a ton of texts at once live or the next day and it never has been a problem.

How should it work?

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm jailbroken and using LockInfo. Notifications/alerts on lockscreen and a slidedown menu with notification/alerts from the statusbar (android'ish). As long as I have an iPhone, have to have it jailbroken to get the most use out of it.

12. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Your phone becomes unusable. It interrupts everything you are doing and the only thing you can do to stop it is to go into the messaging app and just watch them all come in. You can't get 100 texts at once and browse the web or play a game without issues.

13. walie macrumors 6502a

look to see how an Android phone handles notifications

14. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Agreed. The notifications system on the iPhone is something that has to be adressed in iOS 5. If nothing skews changes this would be the one thing that has to.

Using my iPhone for business there is nothing more annoying than having that damn bubble pop up while I'm typing or reading a email. A simple status bar icon would be fine. Hence the name status bar. It only makes logical sense it be used for something other than to show time,signal strength.

I do think apple are working on this,they didn't hire Palms guy just because... Obviously they can't copy palm or android but let's get t together.

The lock screen should be uPdated as well, it should have the ability to show you info at a glance. There are many times I pull my phone out to see what's coming up next and what time it is. Weather I don't care that much for, some do. It should be a option.

How should they handle it. A simple swipe across the status bar should reveal a recent notifications screen consisting of mail,mms,calls, and so forth. Apple can do it way better than I but they need to come with it soon!