Will we ever get Flash on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPhonatic, Oct 1, 2007.

1. iPhonatic macrumors member

Just wondering. There's a ton of good video sites that need Flash support. It would be an awesome addon.

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Apple has given us no indication that they plan on making anything for the phone that wont make them money. I wouldnt bet on it.

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Or they simply have not worked out all the issues with Adobe yet as to power, and cpu needs.

Nah. That would be too obvious of an answer.

4. b257177 macrumors regular

they definitely should... a friend just asked me this same question this morning. Given the tight relationship w/Adobe and user demand, I am surprised it wasn't included in the 1.1.1 update.

Kind of adds more credence to 1.1.1 not being completely about feature updates.

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

According to me flash will be supported after the next update Apple rolls out.
    I hope its in the "October" update :)

6. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

i don't think that it will ever support flash. Somehow, someway the phone just doesn't support it (although i doubt that the 700mhz proc is the bottleneck)

i do think that updates will come at a regular pace, this is the only way of slowing down hackers by cutting them out at every incremental update.

so the upside to all of this is, apple has to give the users something to upgrade to... otherwise, nobody would be interested in upgrading..

7. cah87 macrumors regular

makes since to me

8. woode macrumors newbie

I've read chatter on teh intarweb that one reason for the absence of Flash was because of Flash Video, and Apple's pushing H.264 as the preferred video codec for iPhone. As with all net talk, should probably be taken with a large grain of salt.

9. GTiPhone macrumors regular

No i think the above is far more accurate. No money, no effort.

10. b257177 macrumors regular

The thing is, if a unit will play video and audio at the FPS that the iPhone will, then Flash would be lightweight by comparison... in terms of required processing power.

I don't think it is a technical thing, unless it is related to the swap space required for d/l'ing and playing Flash apps... vs. not being to say at any given moment how much free space is free on the iPhone. Then again, if that were the case, one would think the issue needed to be overcome to implement Safari anyway, as the same issue would exist for web pages.

So, it must be a money thing somehow.

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

No.

WE don't have a clue to the inner workings of those two companies and what is much more likely is what I mentioned...

OR lookey what adobe JUST announced:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200709/100107FlashLite3.html

Could it be apple and adobe where waiting for the almost ready newer version of a mobile flash engine so as not to waste resources on a SOON to be out of date flash engine OR its all about the money. boo apple evil etc. etc.

Hmm... Which is more likely?

P.S. Where is the money in the roaming edge feature? They added that with no money but with effort.

12. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I would say it could be a money issue. My opinion would be that adobe is going to want a cut of apples profit on the iphones if/when flash is added. I think there are some possible customers out there sitting on the fence waiting for some better features, and I think flash would be something to push some of those customers over the fence. If this is true, adobe should get a small percentage of profits, or even Apple simply paying them for the development of flash for iphone/ipod touch. I am sure a few more things need to be worked out still before it comes out, but it has to come out for the iphone to be the ultimate web-surfing device it is supposed to be.

13. taficke macrumors member

The answer is whatever eljobso wants.

14. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Would Flash, or the new mobile variatey, allow for access to things such as ABC, NBC, etc. videos online? I suppose it's just another possible application amongst many.

15. Lord Sandwich macrumors regular

It's possible that they need to figure out how to minimize the resource overhead of Flash integration. We have enough problems right now getting Safari and iPod playback working together, and I'd prefer they got that working first.

16. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Well, let's see then. The article you quote says:

"Adobe Flash Lite runs on multiple platforms, including S60 on Symbian OS, second and third edition, Qualcomm® BREW® 2.x/3.x and Microsoft® Windows® Mobile® 5, in addition to embedded operating systems on a variety of OEM platforms."

There is not a single mention of Apple or the iPhone in the Adobe press release. Saying "a variety of platforms" does not imply iPhone. The iPhone is the must successful phone on the market. If Adobe Flash Lite was designed for the iPhone, it would be the first OS mentioned. So could it be that Apple and Adobe are waiting for the new version? Sure, but Adobe goes out of its way to mention every phone operating system EXCEPT Apple. Hmmm..... I guess you draw different conclusions from that than I do.

Why there is no Flash, I have no idea whatsoever. If Flash will be supported, I have no idea. Adobe certainly is not saying it will be a part of the iPhone. But as far as the inner workings of Apple, read Apple history and any stock news reports, look at their actions and you can get a pretty good idea of what any company is thinking. Boardroom discussions, of course not. But a general course of actions, yes you can. Apple is money driven. Their actions are money driven. They do deliver an outstanding product. They try to give the best product available. IMO, the succeed in doing so. They have the best MP3 player, the best notebook computers and the best cell phone. But they are still greed driven. That's not a bad thing. It insures their future and future product development. There are some nice security fixed and they threw consumers a few bones of additional features. But don't kid yourself, there is a monetary reason why 1.1.1 does what it does. And the money is going into Apple's pockets.

17. warmseth macrumors newbie

warmseth

^That could easily be explained by a contractual obligation to secrecy. I'm sure that Apple would want to put its own spinmeisters and PR people on ANY feature that was upcoming with any of their products.

How about a third party app/plug-in to support flash?

18. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

this is one thing that I do miss with Apple, because obviously as mentioned by others there are tons of video sites and online flash games out there. Flash is a very cool platform where a lot of development can be done. If Apple adds flash to the iPhone (I don't see Adobe saying no to them wanting to do this, and I would be willing to pay Adobe for the software) more people would be rushing out to get the iPhone. More money for Apple so it would seem like a good move for them.

19. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I would love to have Flash on the iPhone. But I seriously doubt that there is anyone who is refusing to buy an iPhone just because it doesn't have Flash on its browser. If it doesn't prove to be a security risk and doesn't cost Apple any money, we might see it on the iPhone.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The recently announced Mobile Firefox is said to be "no compromise", if they can do Flash, surely Safari can...

21. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

You're kidding, right?

This is the same Adobe, that recently decided it isn't worthwhile to work on fixing CS3's nasty little habit of rolling over and playing dead under 10.5 until after the retail release, then said so publicly... and blames it on the fact that Apple (like everyone else) charges for Developer Access (via ADC) -- and that Apple won't pay Adobe to develop for the platform.

This is the same Adobe that ported bugs in Dreamweaver from PowerPC to Intel because it didn't care enough to actually comb through the code.

This is the same Adobe that said "screw you guys, I'm going home" and took Premiere with them when Apple had the audacity to launch a competing product (Final Cut and iMovie).

I wouldn't hold your breath.