Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, we'll get it and Apple will have Jony talk about how it's so "revolutionary". :rolleyes:

I'm tired of their marketing BS lol

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Yeah, we'll get it and Apple will have Jony talk about how it's so "revolutionary". :rolleyes:

"Hi. This is something that's already been done so props to other manufacturers for doing it first. We'd say we do it better but those are just words in a keynote so we wont insult your intelligence with soundbites and hype. Use your own imagination to get excited"

Nope. That aint gonna cut it either.

Reactions: Robert M.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

The "Amazing!" Does get tiresome at times, but it's their job. They can't get up on stage and say:

"Well, this year we're mildly excited about some incremental updates. We've been working really hard while trying to cut back on expenses and save features for next year's phone. Our hardware and software work together better than anyone else, so we're still going to offer the same storage options, but we're going to increase the capacity of our mediocre (at best) cloud offerings , so they're at least close to the industry's standard. We've also improved some old hardware and software features that have been around for some time, but we think they work better than everyone else's. Now, go and be slightly interested in the hands on area. Thanks of coming today."​

Reactions: ziggo and Robert M.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Will we ever get inductive charging on an iPhone? Is it even a good idea? It works brilliantly on the apple Watch so maybe it's possible for a phone? Are there weaknesses to the technology?
I get the impression that when a hot new technology comes out, but Apple failed to invent it, they pout like a spoiled child, and refuse to include the latest in the iPhone.

The excuse is often "it's not proven" or other such made up reason.

Not only are we missing wireless charging but worse... We're out of the quick charge technology loop. Qualcomm has created a system that is blazing fast. My new Moto X Pure needs only 15 minutes on the charger and you get 10 hours. It's amazing!

Every top of the line and many mid tier Android phones all have the technology included in their phones.

For well over two years my Androids have had wireless charging... Apple is way behind. Years behind still they charge sky high prices for their wired phones.

Reactions: geoff5093

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
...Not only are we missing wireless charging but worse... We're out of the quick charge technology loop. Qualcomm has created a system that is blazing fast. My new Moto X Pure needs only 15 minutes on the charger and you get 10 hours. It's amazing!

Every top of the line and many mid tier Android phones all have the technology included in their phones....
Quick-charging is to the detriment of the battery's health. This has been discussed in other threads, I believe.

nowise

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008

What is revolutionary is that when Apple implements new hardware they typically do it right, if not perfectly. TouchID was revolutionary because all other fingerprint sensors before now have been seriously bad. Same with multitouch and touchscreens in general. Resistive touchscreens of the original iPhone era.. bad. New capacitive touchscreens... literally revolutionary and shaped modern phones as we know it.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
"Hi. This is something that's already been done so props to other manufacturers for doing it first. We'd say we do it better but those are just words in a keynote so we wont insult your intelligence with soundbites and hype. Use your own imagination to get excited"

Nope. That aint gonna cut it either.

The "Amazing!" Does get tiresome at times, but it's their job. They can't get up on stage and say:

"Well, this year we're mildly excited about some incremental updates. We've been working really hard while trying to cut back on expenses and save features for next year's phone. Our hardware and software work together better than anyone else, so we're still going to offer the same storage options, but we're going to increase the capacity of our mediocre (at best) cloud offerings , so they're at least close to the industry's standard. We've also improved some old hardware and software features that have been around for some time, but we think they work better than everyone else's. Now, go and be slightly interested in the hands on area. Thanks of coming today."​
:D

Ha-ha!

Oh I know, but they could tone it down a little.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Your Wolley Mammoth comment, never heard that saying before but I will be using it in the future. I love funny sayings like that so thanks for it.

I have been using a bypass way of getting an Adblock on my iPad and iPhone for ages now but it only works when on wifi. I only updated my Air 2 to iOS 9 a few hours ago but I'm going to look into these Adblock apps in a bit to find the best one. So far I love the update but I'm not updating my iP6 because I have it jailbroken. What ad blocker are you using?
:) Images pop into my mind at times, glad you like the Mamoth one.

Have been trying different blockers, iblock, peace, crystal, blockr. Looks like you can turn them on in Safari settings one at a time or together as you like. It really speeds up this forum and imore. Without the ads, loading just zooms.

One thing to note, some sites are 95% ads, the ones that come up on Google list when searching. They have one paragraph of content surrounded by dozens of ads. Those sites come up mostly blank with blockers turned on, LOL. Content Blockers really seem to sort out the wheat from the chaff. At end of an imore article about content blockers the author pleads for us to whitelist imore, leaving the ads intact.

This is really going to cut into ad revenue and Google tracking services to advertisers. Advertisers and likes of Google will retaliate. Seems rather sad that a system (Internet) first designed to open up information transfer has been so taken over by selling and spying on us all.

One other small but welcome change in iOS 9 is the keyboard capitalization. Having the keys show either as lower or upper case is wonderfully user friendly. I always got confused in past if capitalization was on or off. For some reason I have issues with 50/50 toggles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will22

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I don't think that matters I had a case on my Lumia and it worked. I'm sure some ultra protective cases would impact charging but I believe the majority of cases should be fine.
The inductance fields around the coils have to interact to move the electrons (charge). As distance increases or the fields are less aligned, the less efficient the whole thing becomes. Position and distance from the wire coils in the charging pad to the phone makes huge differences.

So cases do have some impact on charge times. As does the exact position of the phone.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think it would require a redesign, so iPhone 7 at the earliest. The biggest problem is that it is somewhat inefficient. Although I think Apple has that down pretty good. I saw a video showing the Apple Watch charging off the diagnostic port vs. the inductive charger and the difference was only a few percent (not more than 5%). So that problem may be solved? Like the Apple Watch, they could also include a diagnostic port that is hidden in case there are issues with the device.

Furthermore, the next iPhone could very well be too thin for a headphone port. They may include some new bluetooth Earpods. Combine that with an internal, programmable SIM and suddenly you have no ports. Seal up the speaker/mic and buttons like on the Apple Watch and you've got a water proof, or at least water resistant device. Taking it another step further, if Touch ID is integrated into the capacitive touch surface of the display glass, they could do the home button with 3D Touch and remove a button. This would also aid in reducing the bezel size and making the devices physically smaller. They could also move the mute switch to control center like on the newer iPads and eliminate that point of entry. I think they will always leave the lock and volume buttons. At least for the next several generations. I'd love an iPhone 7 with a simple design like this that is waterproof. Apple always simplifies things over time so it's not a matter of if, but when.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I get the impression that when a hot new technology comes out, but Apple failed to invent it, they pout like a spoiled child, and refuse to include the latest in the iPhone.

The excuse is often "it's not proven" or other such made up reason.

Not only are we missing wireless charging but worse... We're out of the quick charge technology loop. Qualcomm has created a system that is blazing fast. My new Moto X Pure needs only 15 minutes on the charger and you get 10 hours. It's amazing!

Every top of the line and many mid tier Android phones all have the technology included in their phones.

For well over two years my Androids have had wireless charging... Apple is way behind. Years behind still they charge sky high prices for their wired phones.
Use an iPad charger with your phone, that charges way quick. All I use now. Twenty minutes on the 2.1 amp charger and gain 50% easily.

And with today's Li batteries none of these chargers, quick charging, harms the battery. In particular the iPhones meter the amount of power they draw based on the level of charge. iPad chargers are Apple approved to use on the iPhones. Surprises me that Apple doesn't include them with phones, instead of smalle cube. They could then brag about the rapid charge feature.

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I think it would require a redesign, so iPhone 7 at the earliest. The biggest problem is that it is somewhat inefficient. Although I think Apple has that down pretty good. I saw a video showing the Apple Watch charging off the diagnostic port vs. the inductive charger and the difference was only a few percent (not more than 5%). So that problem may be solved? Like the Apple Watch, they could also include a diagnostic port that is hidden in case there are issues with the device.

Furthermore, the next iPhone could very well be too thin for a headphone port. They may include some new bluetooth Earpods. Combine that with an internal, programmable SIM and suddenly you have no ports. Seal up the speaker/mic and buttons like on the Apple Watch and you've got a water proof, or at least water resistant device. Taking it another step further, if Touch ID is integrated into the capacitive touch surface of the display glass, they could do the home button with 3D Touch and remove a button. This would also aid in reducing the bezel size and making the devices physically smaller. They could also move the mute switch to control center like on the newer iPads and eliminate that point of entry. I think they will always leave the lock and volume buttons. At least for the next several generations. I'd love an iPhone 7 with a simple design like this that is waterproof. Apple always simplifies things over time so it's not a matter of if, but when.
One thing to consider is a physical, not screen software, way to reboot locked up phone. All computers seem to get confused at times and need some way to re-power/reboot. Currently the on/off button at same time as home button. This functionality need to remain in some way.

I like your idea of approaching water resistance.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Quick-charging is to the detriment of the battery's health. This has been discussed in other threads, I believe.

Because it has been discussed doesn't mean it is true though. I have been using both fast charging and VOOC charging for years and it never harmed the battery. I know batteries do normally degrade over time or even abnormally like the iPhone 5 or 5s battery problems. Using VOOC charging with a battery the size of an iPhone 6 it would be able to charge from empty to full under 30 minutes, that is what I would prefer over wireless.

Another thing to note about wireless charging, the Apple emblem on the back of iPhones could be used to charge without adding thickness to the phone.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I suspect that the next (industry-wide) innovation in batteries may change how we think about charging...

Needing to charge these devices so often is such a rate-limiting step in usability that I'd be confident that there is much research ongoing into battery technology.

Forget inductive charging, and think more laterally...

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Sounds like your average Apple response. Heat is what kills batteries, as long as they are cautious of the heat the battery will be fine.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If Apple ever figures out a way to make it not so crappy. Otherwise no.

The Apple Watch says otherwise, same crappy implementation as the rest of them ;)

On a serious note, Apple has already introduced inductive charging, and it's the same as the others...

Last edited:

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
There are lots of wireless charging backs/cases for the iPhone. i.e. This, this, this, etc.

I like wireless charging because I just put my phone down on the charging pad. No cables or ports to break.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
There are lots of wireless charging backs/cases for the iPhone. i.e. This, this, this, etc.

I like wireless charging because I just put my phone down on the charging pad. No cables or ports to break.

One other benefit of wireless charging is it keeps the lightning port clean. I have had charging problems with the lightning port on previous phones, only to find out that lint from my pocket had built up inside it. Minor but factual.

Reactions: MacInTO

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Will we ever get inductive charging on an iPhone? Is it even a good idea? It works brilliantly on the apple Watch so maybe it's possible for a phone? Are there weaknesses to the technology?
they need something for iphone7 too... im surprised if ip7 hasnt it

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
This reminds me of the "Will we ever get bigger screens" threads. People posting no we don't need it, its a gimmick, yadda yadda....then Apple releases bigger screens and they are the "GREATEST IPHONES EVER MADE"

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Same as others say right now I would rater fast charge and a bigger battery over wireless induction.

However this is only due to the fact inductive charging is a bit slow. Alright for a watch overnight but I want my phone fast.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Same as others say right now I would rater fast charge and a bigger battery over wireless induction.

However this is only due to the fact inductive charging is a bit slow. Alright for a watch overnight but I want my phone fast.
They're not mutually exclusive; the phone can have inductive charging in addition to traditional charging.

Reactions: MacInTO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.