Will we ever get Max go and Epix app?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by 2010mini, Oct 16, 2016.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Seems strange that these two are the only premium channel holdouts on the Apple TV. Are they available on other set top boxes or TVs??

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Maybe it is just a contract issue, even if they want, maybe they have cable contracts that have to expire first? Or a copyright issue, maybe Apple wants it available in x countries as well, but they don't have the option to license each show to those countries? I dunno, probably a guessing game.

3. NAPABFH macrumors newbie

Only the Epix app is available on Roku the Max Go app is not available Roku

4. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

That is a question for those two companies. Apple doesn't really have control over whether they develop for tvOS or not.

5. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Well this we know. Just started this thread to see if there were any rumors on this subject

6. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

That's not the way your original question was worded.

I found a few articles, in a search, that says Apple wants epix to release an app, but not much for Max Go.

7. jdillings macrumors 68000

HBO has not made a Max Go app for any set top box. I keep hoping they'll just add Cinemax to the HBO Go/Now app and be done with it.

8. inkahauts macrumors regular

It'd be nice but I doubt it since they are different purchases with cable companies.

Maybe they are trying to decide if they want a max now service before doing anything...

9. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

You can get Epix or Cinemax on Apple TV via Sling TV (including all the on demand content), but unfortunately there is no way to pay for just those 2 channels without paying for one of the $20 base packages, which is ridiculous.

Optimum doesn't even provide Epix as an option, so I would have to go OTT to get it, but luckily anything I want on there becomes available a couple months later on Hulu and Amazon Prime.

10. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

You can get epix on Vue also. I think it is a stand alone package, or it comes bundled with one of their offerings.

11. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

Epix, for participating cable providers, is now on Apple TV. This is a somewhat old post but I wanted to clear things up from what I have learned recently subscribing to Vue. Epix does not come with Vue, "Epix Hits" comes with Vue. Also, I know of no way to get it completely standalone. Either add to a basic plan, include with a more premium plan, or combine it with Showtime. Epix Hits, on first looks, appears to contain the same content that Epix provides to Hulu: stand-up specials, hit movies, but no original series and not every movie Epix offers.

12. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

I have no idea how it worked for me. But I do not have EPIX with my pay tv provider. But years ago I created an EPIX account with my email. I used that account to log in and it works. I have access to all the content.

13. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

I've been on the favorable end of a bunch of authentication issues with various streaming services in the past 2 years alone. If it's a smaller company I want to support I report it, but, if it was Epix, nah.

14. StevenWalker macrumors regular

Great that Epix now has an ATV4 app... really good.

But hell it drives you crazy with all the brand promos and ads they play before each show actually starts streaming!!