will we ever have talking computers like on star trek?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Oct 2, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

with all the power and advances we have with computers, especially with apple, are we at the point yet to have computers talk like on star trek?

like i mean like not actually have conversation but things like "computer play this song" or "computer what is the date"

those kind of simple things.

i know odd question but, after getting my souped up macbook pro 15inch, why not yet? lol

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Computer have voice recognition, yes.

My 5 year old Nokia phone could tell me what time it was. Where have you been?

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

We already have voice control. It's everywhere. Computers, phones and even cars and GPS systems. I'm surprised you want simple voice control. I'd rather have software intelligent enough to have full on human conversations with you.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I talk to my ip4 every day! Don't you op??

5. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

ye my 5 year old motorola phone can do that but i mean litterally talk back to you with a normal voice and such and asking more variety of stuff...like on star trek LOL

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Windows Vista already offered years ago voice recognition that was good enough to give the Computer commands like open whatever. You could dictate stuff to write in some supported Applications.

The other way round converting text to voice has been around even longer. Blind people use it to make the computer read to them what it written on the the screen. You watch those people it is amazing. They can set the speed of the voice really fast that normal person understands nil but they still do. And a computer can read really really fast. It is like Audio speed reading.
    Or everybody knows Steven Hawking with his computer.

Google is trying to gather huge datasets to make voice recognition more precise for all the different kind of people. They are at it for a while now no idea how good they are yet. They want to use the power of the cloud to offer better voice recognition than the weak hardware in a phone could ever provide.

An entire different field is AI which interprets text and understands its meaning and reacts like a human. There has been research for a while. Check the Turing test they get better each year. Still a long way to go here though and real good simulation requires quite a lot of resources it seems.

7. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

You can do it on a Mac by going to Speech preference pane. You gotta love the jokes it can make. Stuff like:

It goes on. :D And when you've had enough you could say something like "stop" and it might say something like, "OK, back to work".

I haven't tried this with Lion, but only with Leopard and Snow Leopard with Alex. He was pretty funny.

8. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

haha i didnt even know about that thanks! its not perfect but fun to use!

9. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Voice recognition and "Star Trek -like talking computers" is not nearly the same. Voice recognition react to certain keywords while the Stark Trek computer you can pretty much talk regular language and build sentences.

Kinda like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seNkjYyG3gI Watson.
    Only problem is that Watson is a supercomputer with an entire room full of processors and it sounds like an aircraft XD

10. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

If My computer gave me any sass I'd wipe it....just like my kids.