Will we ever see a 15" rMBP sized like the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dexterbell, Mar 11, 2015.

1. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

A MBP with a 15 inch retina display around the same size and weight as the new Macbook? I really hope so. I cannot find the right laptop in this current lineup. The new Macbook will be too underpowered for my needs as a photographer/videographer production work. Also, one port and no SD Card reader is a joke. Its not an iPad. The MBA doesn't have a much better processor and it does not have a retina display and the 15 inch MBP is big, heavy and uncomfortable to use. Is it really that difficult to deliver a thin, light, 15 inch retina display Macbook with two ports and a processor to do more than check emails and browse the web? Apple is going to be losing the business of many professionals like myself who need something more than 1.1-1.6Ghz processors and one lousy port..

2. LV-16 macrumors member

I think Apple has really spoiled people with some of their extremely thin devices. The rMBPs aren't as clunky as many make them out to be, at all.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Well why don't you get the rMBP 15"? It's not like did not do business in the 2000's when laptops were much chunkier. Today's rMBP 15" would have been a mindblowing Ultrabook in 2003. Life still went on then, people still made money....

4. magamo macrumors 6502

15" retinal would be too computationally demanding if you want a laptop as thin and light as the new MB. As the (minor) UI lag issue shows, 13" was already only barely manageable when rMBP was introduced. Since the current Core M and its iGPU aren't any better than what was inside rMBP back then, I think it's still too early to expect something like that.

5. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already had one. Its much too heavy and gets too hot to use as a true laptop, have to use it at a desk or table which isn't always readily available on the road.

6. AR86 macrumors member

Can't demand a full on solid desktop specs (which the 15" retina provides) and also expect it to be light as a feather and thin as a Victorias Secret model.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes it is

Basically you have the heart of it current technology cannot provide with what you want and a good battery life and good gpu and endless connectivity etc etc etc. Will it happen eventually??? Probably but technology will have to progress a fair bit before that happens.

The 15 inch rMBP is already just about the thinnest lightest high powered laptop out there with a 15 inch Retina screen and a good battery life. Apple are pushing the envelope with their design for thinness and lightness, to the point where they often have heat and throttling issues until the silicon tech catches up to their designs.

8. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Honestly, I love the form of my 15" rMBP. I don't think I would ever purchase a rMBP in a form of a MBA. If I wanted thin, I would've gone to a MBA, but I love that it's shaped like it is. I don't get how it's uncomfortable to use. I have been using my rMBP for over a year and it's by far the best laptop I've ever owned. I use it in my bed every time I'm home and it's the perfect size and weight for me. I think people are far too obsessed with thinness but then get mad when Apple removes certain ports to make a laptop thin (like the rMB only having two ports, but it's the thinnest laptop they've ever made, yet people are so unhappy with that). I think it's hard to please everybody. That's why Apple has three notebook lineups for different people. Maybe one day they will make a 15" equivalent to a thin laptop, but I don't think it'll have the same performance/quality as the current 15" rMBP.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It'll be better performance and quality..

It'll be better silicon will get better and better especially GPU's, use less and less power, in smaller and smaller packages and overall it'll be better laptop it's just going to take a few years.... Canonlake???