Will we ever see a DVI-Mini Display Port cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AliensExist4, Jan 9, 2009.

1. AliensExist4 macrumors member

I'm interested in getting an external monitor for my 'Santa Rosa' mbp and I love both the new and old displays. Do you honestly think us older Mac users will see a DVI>Mini-Display Port cable? Whether your answer is yes or no, could you explain your reason(s)? Just curious to see everyones responses. I'm starting to have my doubts but I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks,

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

i think it's strange of apple to have not released one all ready. Do they not want to sell this monitor? Maybe it's not possible.

I think the new monitor is a very strange product. A monitor that can only be used by a couple of laptops.

3. tr0jan macrumors member

tr0jan

im also waiting for an adapter.. first i was waiting for a new ACD and now im waiting for a damn adapter..

i just set a personal deadline.. if there will be an adapter when they release the other ACDs (30", 20", ..) i will buy the new ACD.. if there will be no adapter i will buy an other display..

4. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

1) DVI-D to Mini-DP is possible. Just need some conversion electronics. Why is Apple not releasing it ?. They appears to love to p__s off their customers.

2) Only for Rev2 MBA, Unibody MB and MBP 15, plus new 17. Thats it!. Why are they so so stubborn not to BUILD-IN a DVI-D port at the back of the 24inch LED ?. I think the answer is in (1). { Certainly reflect that "infinite Loop" mindset ... }:confused::apple::confused:

5. AliensExist4 thread starter macrumors member

tr0jan:I agree, I think the only chance we have is until Apple updates the rest of their displays which hopefully is sometime soon.

6. 3247 macrumors regular

Actually, an adapter is only possible if the monitor supports DVI/HDMI. That's why the adapter is so simple: The sink (or source) does all the tricky stuff.

If the monitor does not support DVI/HDMI, making an adapter is non-trivial… and it would be expensive.