Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Considering all of the threads on this forum about how much Steve hates Blu Ray, this is kind of a funny question. :D

This poor horse has been beaten to death over the past couple of years. For those who never bothered to search for those threads, the general consensus is: 1) Blu-ray won't be used in Macs due to licensing issues, and; 2) there won't be Blu-ray in a Mac until there is a 9.7mm SLOT loading Blu-ray player.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I am more or less convinced that Blu-ray will never get Steve's blessing. I became convinced when Steve showed off the new Apple TV and talked about how people don't like streaming or syncing.

Peter.Howard

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Australia.
Will we ever see a OSX on blu ray

Well I guess obviously you first have to have macs from the factory with bluray players in them, for 12 - 24 months, so they are fairly common in the marketplace.

I would guess, that maybe Apple will come up with some sort of online install system, that you can "somehow" boot the machine to a network/Ethernet connection and install from their servers somewhere.

The average users probably never users their restore system discs anyway.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
BluRay is not gonna happen, it's a matter of principle for Steve Jobs. As long as he exists at Apple there won't be any official BluRay support.

On the other side with USB 3 nothing will stop 3rd parties anymore from supplying external Blu-Ray drives with their own software to play movies.

filmweaver

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
I'm in for BluRay, I have satellite service and have a daily download limit of 200Mb. Hardly enough to support CLOUD, ATV, iTunes and the rest. That would essentially cut me out of any new services offered. I guess we will have to figure out how to transmit on Barbed Wire fences used for COWS. I can't even get a cell phone to work in my area.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Probably never. Not that I've seen much of a huge adoption of Bluray in many other computer sellers. It just doesn't seem to be taking off like DVD did.

Not fussed tbh, I don't have any disks which require bluray.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Apple will def support blu-ray when it's feasible to do so. Right now they have a lot of licensing issues to work out, plus they really believe it to be unnecessary (for most people). I don't really know why they think that, but they do.

But either way, hopefully OS X never gets big enough to require a BD!

Yotsuba

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
If we are using OSs that require more than a 9gb DVD to install from then we have bigger problems to worry about!

I'm not entirely sure about Snow Leopard, but I believe Leopard was on a dual-layer DVD because of the fact that it has both PPC and Intel code on it. If I'm not mistaken though, the OEM Leopard discs that came with Intel Macs were single layer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.