Will we ever see a quality battery case for the X generations?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by violetdudley, Oct 14, 2018.

1. violetdudley macrumors newbie

Mysteriously, the heavy hitters making battery cases for iPhones (Anker, Mophie, Apple) have gone missing and it’s apparently now up to the market’s small Asian case makers putting out questionable quality/style products. What happened? The innate battery capacity of iPhones just doesn’t serve a significant portion of iPhone users and upgrade decisions are in abeyance until this issue is clarified. Is it the USB micro’s limitations; the ability to incorporate lightning or USB C connectors into a battery case; heating? The absence of an quality protective battery case, though ancillary, is a real takeaway from the upgrade experience, one which reduces the modest improvements of the X generation. Any informed intel?

2. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yes I have been wondering about this too since day one of owning my X. With each of my previous iPhones, beginning with the 4S, I have purchased a Mophie Juice Pack at the same time I have purchased the phone. Being on the S cycle, the cases from the previous generation always fit just fine I tend to be a heavy user and it was always nice to have that reassurance of being able to switch on the battery case.

Yet nothing from a reputable company (those you listed) has hit shelves that is designed for the X. I think that earlier this year it appeared that Mophie was going to release a juice pack for the X, but nothing ever came of it.

My best GUESS is that with all the hype around wireless charging, it appears that's where the focus of efforts have been for the accessory makers now. Looking at Mophie's website, for example, the accessories for the X are basically centered around wireless charging. My guess is that the accessory makers feel that the market is in wireless charging now, and not so much in battery cases.

I see there are several cheap options for battery cases on Amazon, for instance. However, I am leery about plugging a $30 battery case from a company I have never heard of into my $1000 phone. So I have not done so at this point. It just sucks having to budget out my phone usage daily for the sake of battery life.

3. ET3SW macrumors regular

4. violetdudley thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I agree on the Qi wireless possible explanation. But I understand there are overheating issues as well as much slower (than USB-c to Lightening) charge speed that disadvantage the wireless option. It appears Anker no longer is selling its great battery case for the iPhone 6 cycle, leading me to think the USB micro element may be a choke point now. In any event there will be no new iPhone X’s under the tree this year.

5. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

You have to think like Apple, they announced the iPhone X, XS and XS Max as the iPhones with the best battery yet. Apple making battery cases for these models would be defeating the purpose of their own marketing tactic. The same happened with the 6S Plus and 7 Plus in which they were marketed at the highest battery on an iPhone so only the smaller models which have an awful battery life got the battery case.

6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I liked the Apple battery case for my 6, though it died in the time after i stopped using it and before I gave the phone/battery to my brother in law (around time the 7+ came out).

I bought a third party case for my UK vacation (the X), and though it helped I still had to use an external battery pack. Blocked being able to use my wireless stand.

7. 0014 macrumors 6502a

That's a tad pricey for a fancy battery and charger! Buy this combo and save yourself $22. Granted it's two things to carry, but you'll get the same effect and it will deliver twice the amount of charges!

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...&qid=1540096228&sr=8-5&keywords=Anker+Battery

https://www.amazon.com/Seneo-Wirele...096283&sr=8-3&keywords=seneo+wireless+charger

8. jwlbel macrumors 6502

I spoke to someone in customer service at Mophie yesterday and he said they are working on cases for the Max. (that is the only one I asked about) He said he thinks it should be out by the end of the year. But as always, I don't 100% believe what I am told until I can see it is true myself. Just reporting what I was told.