Will we ever see AT&T unlock our phones?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chuckd83, Oct 8, 2011.

1. chuckd83 macrumors regular

Now that 3 U.S. based carriers have the iPhone, is there any hope of AT&T unlocking our out-of-contract phones? I have been in China for 10 months now and would like to use iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, but obviously can't since it will lock it. Any news or rumors?

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Abandon hope, my friend.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt it.
    Why would they? Nobody will make them do it.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

From what I've heard they will unlock it if you call them. That's all hearsay though. I think there is a charge as well.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well in the past their excuse was their policy is to not unlock phones for which they have exclusivity agreements. Now that they don't have an agreement and the other carriers have the same hardware, maybe there's a chance. Or they'll come up with some bs excuse.

I wonder if Verizon will unlock the gsm portion of their phones (if they even can); they've been willing to unlock other world phones in the past iirc

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Negative on both.
    Unless the Government steps in and does something right for once or they will continue those consumer unfair practices.