Will we ever see built-in 3G in the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petrucci666, Jun 13, 2009.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I've heard some stories that Apple is looking into the built-in 3G option for their notebooks. Anyone see this update soon? That's the only thing I'm waiting for before I buy the new MBP (13" or 15")...

2. cit1 Suspended

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

They just released a new line of notebooks. An update is not around the corner. I don't think integrated 3G is a big yes anyway seeing that tethering is an option on the 3.0 firmware for the iPhone. (at least in places besides the US)

4. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

By "soon" I didn't mean in a month or something. I know they just released new notebooks or "upgrades" I should say. Allow me to rephrase my question, Do you think built-in 3G will be their next upgrade or available option on the notebooks? Tethering is cool but not everybody has the iPhone...that's all I'm saying

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

That is a good point lol, not everyone has an iPhone; only ~55% of people over 13 have them. If I were designing the next one I would leave that out though because it would encourage people to buy iPhones, sort of.

6. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get your point, with iPhone tethering will encourage a lot of people to buy the iPhone. I, for example, am 19 and don't have the iPhone even though I can afford it. The simple reason I don't buy one is because 1.) I don't need it 2.) it's kinda complicated to text (especially when driving) 3.) all the kids have it and it has become a toy that just makes you look cool not something you need. I go to a club or concert and everybody's pulling out their iPhone. Kinda makes me sick, but I'm sure Apple is grinning :)

Anyway, back to the topic...I think built-in 3G would be a great way to get more Mac consumers, and I'm sure people will keep on buying the iPhone whether or not it has tethering

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I'm guessing their love of metal cases gets in the way of things like these... if they had to replace the aluminum case on the iPhone with plastic in order to get decent 3G reception, think what the unibody MBP case will do to the signal. I guess that's why they're trying to buy time with iPhone tethering.

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I kinda thought we'd get 3G in this update.. there was a little buzz about it recently..

9. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose this can be surpassed by a small rubber or plastic area on the laptop itself (just picture the black rubber oval-shaped part on the back of the iPod Touch). I think this would do the thing for enabling 3G as it enables WiFi on the iPod Touch. At least that's what I think that black rubber thingy is :)

All in all, this is the way technology is going at the moment...this and Bluray. Just look at what happened when Apple took away the Firewire port on the MB's. Everybody got (rightfully) pissed and Apple made sure they put it back on the MB's or 13" MBPs as we call them now. They took away an industry standard option and that's exactly what built-in 3G is becoming to be...