Will we ever see data plan only smart phones?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by puffnstuff, Jan 8, 2010.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I really thought the Google phone was going to change things in that retrospect from the rumors of it being $20 a month data plan only but that turned out to be a bust.

The whole having to pay for talk +web for an extreme amount each month seems a bit much and has kept me from getting a smart phone. I am just wondering when the day will come? :(

2. biohazardous macrumors newbie

Actually, for deaf people there are data only plans with the iPhone. It runs you 50 dollars a month with unlimited texts and no calling plans whatsoever.

The catch is you have to submit an audiogram signed by a certified audiologist or doctor.

But for the general population, you're out of luck.

3. ArrowSmith macrumors regular

The data/voice plan is a deal-killer for me. I can't see replacing my 2005 Samsung flip-phone with T-Mobile prepaid minutes for a smartphone until the 2-year TCO comes down to $700 or so. Who the hell can afford $70/month for ANY of these devices? Just for a day planner and iFart apps? Remember most people still maintain a basic landline for E-911.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is at least one something like that...erm... I'm blanking on the name right now, but it looks a lot like a Blackberry, but it doesn't have phone functions (just e-mail / messaging / data-centric functions).

Oh, yes. It's called a Peek.

http://www.getpeek.com/

5. ArrowSmith macrumors regular

No, I mean a real kick-ass smartphone like the iPhone or N1 for $15/month so some POS crapware.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And preferably also a new BMW car that runs on water and costs $3,000.... ;)

7. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I never said anything about no phone function. With a smartphone you can download VOIP apps so why pay for voice? You can also d/l messaging apps so why pay for texting?

It seems kinda pointless to me. $30 a month data only plan would be perfect.