Will we ever see Tasks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drchipinski, Feb 13, 2008.

1. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I am getting really tired of waiting....what is the hold up :apple: ?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

What are tasks? Can you explain in context.

3. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

A to do list....like call Bob @ Nike

or pick up birthday cake for Grandma Henderson...

those type of tasks

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I heard a report of mail syncing to do's in iCal now, since 10.5.2 but haven't checked yet.

5. drb6 macrumors regular

Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but doesn't the iPhone have a to do list function. What would Tasks do in addition?

6. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

That is what I am asking, is there a to do list?

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816

8. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

Thats what I would do. Use the note function for now. Hopefully they will release a true "tasks" app that syncs with outlook or ical.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. This is a much needed function. I'm surprised that it has taken so long.

10. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Well, sure, you can write your to do list in "Notes".

And then when you add something else, and adding it changes the priority or sequence order of the list, you have to backspace out your items one character at a time, and retype each line in its new position, since there's no copy & paste.

Ah, but you say, well, that's alright, I'll just type it out on "Notes" on my new $3500 Mac computer that makes everything simple and easy, and sync it over to the phone, so I can just grab it on my way out the door to go run errands. Can't. "Notes" doesn't sync between your phone & computer.

After six months, the iPhones only practical use seems to be, well, a fairly expensive cellphone & (text & jpeg only) email & web browser (albeit a crashy one). I still have to carry around an eight year old PDA for a To-Do list, a clear calendar, voice recorder, and a fully-capable web-browser & email client, but I hardly mind anymore, since the old PDA also lets me save files off the web & email, plus open & edit notes & spreadsheets, save them, email multiple files, cut, copy & paste text, graphics, and files, AND lets me transfer work files from home & work, just by plugging it into a USB drive or pulling the CF or SD cards out & popping them in a reader. & hey, it even has a nice big brightly colored touchscreen and comes with a second, high-capacity battery than you can switch out so you never have to wait for it to recharge. 8 years old, and it does 95% of all the stuff the iPhone should do, with a tap of the finger, & hasn't crashed in years. With a cell-service CF card, it'd be a phone as well.

The iphone platform has all the potential in the world to be the greatest handheld device ever made. Potential. Right now, it feels more like a waste of money.

11. maclover92 macrumors newbie

There are a few webapps with tasks, or you could use notes.

12. poke4christ macrumors member

I didn't realize the iPhone was lacking this. This is a major oversight IMHO. I've recently been fawning the iPhone a little, but the realization about all that it's still missing is bringing me back down to earth a little bit.

13. savemefromtears macrumors newbie

savemefromtears

"Get used to disappointment..."

- The Princess Bride

14. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I agree. For anyone coming from a real pda phone like a treo, the iPhone will feel like a step backwards. The novelty of this phone wore out a long time ago for me. What's painful is that the potential is there.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

you can create a draft email, and use it as a to do list
    each time you make a change on the mac/pc or iphone, its synced right across

or use notes...

16. mudaudio macrumors member

I do wonder how much longer we're going to have to wait for some significant updates, other than pretty map menu animations and wobby icons.

(maybe as long as we're going to have to wait a stable leopard to come along!)

Ever since the leopard 10.5.2 update my Apple mail app keeps forcing the creation of 'Apple Mail Todo Items' in my Gmail IMAP folders. I've disabled this in Mail (through the compose pref), and then manually deleted the folder/label in gmail. But each time I do it, Apple creates it again, even though it should still be disabled.... not a big deal, but quite annoying... I guess apple really wants me to have that imap folder in there!

Anyway, this indicates to me that they are working on Todo creation; and the timing of the OS changes may indicate it's coming soon.

If it's as naff as in mac mail - for example if you can only see a title and not the contents of a todo (without jumping to ical, which in itself isn't great), i'll prob end up finding another solution. Hopefully omni will do something cool with omnifocus.

17. Philpo macrumors member

Hi guys,

If you are jailbroken there is a nice to-do-list app available via installer. ;)

18. Tristan07960 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

There is task functioning on the iPhone now. If you have a .Mac account, you can do tasks in iCal and it now syncs with your iPhone (Apple Mail To Do folder). This was implemented with 10.5.2

19. poke4christ macrumors member

Inconcevable!

LOL, I love that movie. I own it and it's one of my top 5 all time.

20. drchipinski thread starter macrumors 6502

drchipinski

The responses of "send it via email" or "put them in notes" make no sense. I have at least 25 tasks every day. I have a large number of clients, and I need to follow up, send info., etc. every day.

How could Apple forget about tasks? It is terrible for anyone who has alot of tasks or is on the road visiting clients. (like me)

Maybe iphone 2 will have tasks....hell my Palm Pilot IIIe does.