Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onVacation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2016
Well, simple question, not so simple answer I guess.

Google didn't help this time, because every search that contains any combination of "Apple", "Macbook" and "Kaby Lake" just leads to articles saying that the 2016 MBP will not have Kaby Lake.

I want a new laptop, preferably small and light, but there are a few things (well actually one major thing) that I don't like about the current gen:

• the keyboard ("the major thing"): It's not as good as Apple wants it to be. I know 6 people who own a 2015 or 2016 rMB and all of the had issues. Reading this sub actually confirmed this. When people asked about the keyboard almost everyone who posted there confirmed that they have/had stuck keys and even if they didn't everyone wrote that it wears out much faster than the old Macbook keyboard. Therefore I'm hoping for a new rMB that includes the new butterfly keyboard we saw on Thursday.
  • the CPUs: Well, I don't think the improvement will be big, but I'm a little concerned about the future, especially with the lower spec models. Many users confirm that they already have stutter here and there and if I buy a 1500 € laptop I want/have to use it for at least 3-4 years and software won't be less demanding by then.

Turns out by "a few", I actually mean two.

I really want something like the rMB, but the keyboard is a huge turn-off.

Apple introduced the first rMB in March 2015, the 2016 update in April.

How likely is it that we will get a Kaby Lake refresh with the butterfly keyboard rev2 in Q1/2017? Intel started shipping Kaby Lake CPUs this fall and the only reason why the new MBPs didn't get them yet is, that the quadcores aren't available. Technically there should be enough core-M CPUs available for a rMB refresh.

Q1/2017, that's my personal waiting-deadline. Will it happen or should I look for something else?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
The keyboard has been a huge advantage to the rMB over the cMBP it replaced for me. I'm not sure why so many people don't like it.

That being said, next year's rMB will most likely have Kaby Lake and the improved butterfly keyboard. Beyond that, I don't think there's much Apple can add to it to make it a worthwhile upgrade (maybe a 16GB RAM option and 720p HD camera).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
that would be serious salt in the wound if rMB Kaby lake edition rolled around this holiday season

id say spring is likely though, another yearly refresh

onVacation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2016
The keyboard has been a huge advantage to the rMB over the cMBP it replaced for me. I'm not sure why so many people don't like it.

It's not that I don't like it for the small travel (although I understand that this is a problem for many people), but I don't like it, because it causes so many problems.

The keyboard is actually the only real reason why I didn't buy the rMB.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It's not that I don't like it for the small travel (although I understand that this is a problem for many people), but I don't like it, because it causes so many problems.

The keyboard is actually the only real reason why I didn't buy the rMB.

what problems in particular? i think it has its advantages, there are some times it makes you wish you had more key travel but

some people have problems with the keyboard longevity wise over time, but not all certainly

onVacation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2016
what problems in particular? i think it has its advantages, there are some times it makes you wish you had more key travel but

some people have problems with the keyboard longevity wise over time, but not all certainly

Many people have problems with keys getting stuck (actually all rMB owners I know personally have and/or had this problem) and people (here and in other forums) agreed that the keys' surface wears out much faster than the one on the "traditional" MBP keyboard.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

That being said, next year's rMB will most likely have Kaby Lake and the improved butterfly keyboard. Beyond that, I don't think there's much Apple can add to it to make it a worthwhile upgrade (maybe a 16GB RAM option and 720p HD camera).
I love the keyboard on the rMB too, i get why some won't like it because of key travel but i don't get all the hate.

This is the first I've heard about the keys getting stuck, I've only had mine for a couple of months, so far no problems, but i will keep an eye out. I wonder if its due to people pressing too hard, these keys only require a small force to click.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I think we are pretty positive about the MacBook getting the Kaby Lake chips but the second gen butterfly keyboard? I am hesitant between either Apple wants to leave it as an exclusive thing for the Pro or they figure out how to implement it in the current body frame of the MB without significant redesigns.

So far they said the size of it didn't really change whatsoever, it's just the feeling that they key travel is longer.

Flekoun

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
Brno
As for the keys getting stuck. Thats definitely an issue. However nothing to worry about. I have had already few keys stucked but it could be fixed very easily. Just use compressed air can and blow some air beneath the key. Fixed my problem every single time. Only one time I have to use needle to lift the key a bit so the air could blow the blocking debris more easily. I have a lot of pets that are walking on my keyboard and their fur easily block the keys, so I am a little bit unusual case. I love my rMB!

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
I'd buy a Kaby Lake rMB over the new 13" MBP, if it could drive 2 4k60 monitors. The size and weight of the rMB is just perfect

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I've had some stuck keys (really annoying), but they have all fixed themselves after pushing them many times. Does the improved keyboard found in the MBP take more vertical space? Otherwise I really hope they put it in the 2017 MB.

What's known about the Kaby Lake in terms of improvements?

Quddy

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2016
Japan
I've had my rMB (m3) for 3 months now and I am loving it. It's close to perfect for my usage. But I do hope we get the Kaby Lake refresh, not for the speed, but hopefully better thermal limits.

The speed of the current m3 is enough for me when it's running at full speed but throttles now and again when not charging and throttles a lot when it is charging and stutters badly so heat is definitely an issue. Hopefully KB will help here.

Also hope we get a better webcam, 1 more usb port would be great, and hopefully upgrade to USB 3.1 Gen2.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think we'll see it with a slight redesign, an updated processor, 720 webcam, and another port (drop the 3.5 audio). I just don't know if I see this happening in early 2017 or 2018. For me though, I have loved the 2016 rMB, especially the keyboard.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Hi everyone, could we see the new refreshed macbook before September 2017? Or will this be something to wait for after that in-between September 2017 - sometime in 2018?
[doublepost=1479143391][/doublepost]

But can they realistically fit bew keyboard thats on the rmbp on the new macbook?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Hi everyone, could we see the new refreshed macbook before September 2017? Or will this be something to wait for after that in-between September 2017 - sometime in 2018?
[doublepost=1479143391][/doublepost]

But can they realistically fit bew keyboard thats on the rmbp on the new macbook?

Possibly, possibly not. They might improve it to make it thinner and allow it to be built into the thinner chassis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.