Will we get a preview of iOS 5.0 tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeDTyke, Mar 1, 2011.

?

Will we get a preview of iOS 5.0 tomorrow.

Poll closed Mar 3, 2011.
  1. Yes

76 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it's been discussed within other threads, but i think it deserves one of its own.

iOS in its various forms has been traditionally previewed for developers in March each year. Does anyone think we'll get that tomorrow or sometime later?

The reason i ask is are there any developers on here that were invited to previous iOS previews that got an invite to tomorrow's event.

If not, and it is only journalists, then it implies we'll only see 4.3 and 5.0 is being reserved for another time.

Anyone want to pipe up. I'm pretty sure this isn't NDA breaking, to say you are going. :D

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Wow! I can surely state that we are all very optimistic.
    It's going to be a big event, so I do expect a preview of 5.0.

Sorry, I'm not a Developer, so the above is just my personal opinion.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I doubt they would preview iOS 5 because it is obviously an iPad focused event. Previewing an OS that the iPad is not going to ship with would be confusing. However, I do think that we will get some new iPad specific features added to iOS 4 that will be a mini-preview of some things to expect in iOS 5.

4. MikeDTyke thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point, well made. Confusing customers by saying here's the shiny new iPad now but you can't have all the iOS 5.0 features until June would be an issue Apple's unlikely to introduce. It'll probably just be iOS 4.3 + a few new apps (facetime + photobooth + camera) and maybe an update of some existing ones like Photos. Coupled with an iWork 11 and iWork for iPad update and it'd be quite a solid event. One more thing could be free mobileme. :D

5. Coukos34, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Coukos34 macrumors 6502

^ This. I have been thinking this all along and don't really understand why people think we will be seeing iOS5 tomorrow. These forums are going to be littered with dissapointed posters tomorrow, simply because no-one has realistic expectations for what we will see. We will see two cameras (low rez + no flash), faster processor, 512mb of ram, thinner design, and probably a screen design closer to iphone 4 (but no retina). We also will not be seeing iOS5.

If people are not ok with that, they are going to be dissapointed

6. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

didn't they preview multi-tasking and some iOS 4.2 features at the first iPad event that weren't released until Fall?

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

No.

8. MikeDTyke thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad was previewed in Jan, and was released in March. About a week later they did the iOS 4.0 preview event and they did not show off anything on the iPad, just said iOS 4.0 would come to the iPad later in the summer.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think it is a fair assumption that Apple will preview iOS 5 tomorrow as well. It seems fitting as they announce iPad 2 and the potential for iPhone 5 this summer.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    :confused: I don't understand you exactly... but no. In January 2010 (the first iPad event) there was no talk about iOS updates. and iOS 4.2 was never previewed but it was mentioned sometime in the summer.

So I voted yes, but only because I like to be optimistic, and I'm REALLY hoping for it. In my mind, if I hope for it strong enough, it will occur ;)

But in reality it would be confusing as mentioned above PLUS look at the history of iOS previews
    2.0 - March 6
    3.0 - March 17
    4.0 - April 8

Notice a trend? Hopefully they will buck the trend and unveil sooner rather than later, but it probably won't be till after iPad 2's are shipping.

My predictions are iPad 2 release on March 18, with iOS 5.0 preview on April 6. Mark your calendars!

11. MikeDTyke thread starter macrumors 6502a

They could do another event on the 15th called a developer preview.

The reason it wouldn't have the same impact is because iPad 2.0 will be big news, all over the papers and normal consumersphere. The iOS preview events generally only get a mention in the tech orientated sites and as a piece of news will be presented as Apple's forthcoming operating system update. Most normal folks won't catch it, or really notice that means they'll have to wait a couple of months. ;)

12. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Preview: yes.
    Release: no.
    Release to developers: two months before release, with the iPhone 5 in Summer

13. smiddlehurst, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I have a suspicion we will see iOS 5 tomorrow but maybe not quite how you expect it to be. Let me elaborate:

* If the iPad 2 does indeed have a dual core processor Apple are going to need to show WHY it has that power. iMovie would be one example (iLife would be even better, hint hint :apple: ) but knowing Apple there'll be something in iOS 5 to take advantage of the extra grunt and it makes sense to show that as a launch item.

* While it's a bit of a pain having to say this is a preview it CAN be done, especially if you launch iOS 5 BEFORE you show the iPad 2. Consumers are used to seeing this sort of preview of a new OS and, let's face it, only the geeks will really be watching anyway. Keep it out of the initial promotional material and it'll be fine.

* I have a suspicion that the groundwork for certain features for iOS 5 may make it into 4.3 with the obvious example being four and five finger gestures. It didn't seem to cause major issues in beta 1 and wouldn't necessarily need a vast amount of testing. Link the five finger pinch to the current homescreen now and when iOS 5 comes out it goes to a modified LaunchPad from Lion.

* Looking at the recent Lion preview there's some stuff there that seems a no-brainer for Apple to build into iOS, the obvious candidate being AirDrop.

To sum up, my guess (and it is a guess therefore 99.9% certain this will be wrong) is we'll see four things tomorrow:

1) iPad 2 with a VERY short lead time before launch.
    2) A preview of some iOS 5 features in the same way they previewed Lion but NOT a full-on walkthrough. That can wait for a developer event where they can have more time and, if they really are going to launch iPad 2 almost immediately, start building hype up after the initial sales rush has died down.
    3) Some info on iTunes going to the cloud in some form or another.
    4) A MobileMe announcement.

All four of those would link in together to form a very nice message about the future of iOS AND OS X and play very nicely off the tag line of "come see what 2011 will be the year of".

14. joehahn macrumors regular

imo they'll wait until they hold an event for the iphone 5

15. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

This is a truth we can always hold on to.

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    well that's not gonna happen. They won't announce the iphone 5 till june. iOS 5 will get announced in March or April, but of course not released till june/july

17. MikeDTyke thread starter macrumors 6502a

They said that the gestures were a preview to allow developers to test. Not for introduction with 4.3. Based on my own experience of trying out the build, i noticed some apps looked quite ugly as they resumed, so i think it may take until 5.0 is released before we see these.

18. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

We're going to get some sort of OS preview/update.

The iPad 2 is going to have, at the very least, more hardware functionality, so that will necessitate a change in OS. I hope Apple updates the OS more than simply adding Facetime though.

19. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yes we will. Gruber has confirmed. It's gonna be big too, apparently.

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I am of the view that unlike many other Apple timetables which are tried and true (e.g. Timing of the new iPod touch each fall), ios previews and updates are a sufficiently new phenomenon, and are impacted by an increasing number of recent new and different wrinkles (first the iPad, then the Verizon iPhone) that we shouldn't just look to the past to draw overly firm conclusions.

Is it likely that iOS 5 gets previewed this spring some time? Yes it is. But many things, including those mentioned above, could serve to continue the trend to push it later into the spring each year.

As for tomorrow...I believe that what we'll see from a software pov will primarily be MobileMe (and iwork) related. My *hope* is that the result will be something that we might otherwise think of as being system related (specifically, a file app that is shared and baked in across other apps, synced in the cloud, and synced back to the Mac in a robust manner).

21. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Well they will have to show something else.

The iPad 2 will consume about 5minutes at most. You can only speak specs for so long, especially as it's such a modest upgrade (apparently).So i agree, they're either gunna talk about iTunes and MobileMe for an 30mins/1 hour or introduce something we wern't expecting, or more likely iOS5.

Or atleast a special version of 4.3 for iPad 2, at the very least.

22. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

No, I'm thinking iOS 4.3 will be shown. Maybe a preview/hint of 5? Maybe not even...?

23. urkel macrumors 68030

I would hope so. Because if all we're going to get is a rundown of "Whats new with iPad Two" then it's going to be a very short presentation.

24. kmanmx macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactley.

They'll still clame it's some kind of magically revolutionary device, ofcourse. :cool:

25. Krandor macrumors 6502

At WWDC they cover Macs and iPhone.

I could see them covering iOS 5 first and then move into iPad 2.