Will we have to pay for new versions of Mac apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndyMoore, Jul 11, 2012.

1. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

I'm considering purchasing Aperture from the MAS but as it's now at version 3.3.1, is it likely to move to v4 any time soon? And if it did, how likely would it to be a free upgrade.

This doesn't just apply to Aperture, I've been wondering what will happen to the other Apple apps in the MAS when their main version number changes.

2. cmdrmac macrumors regular

This is a popular question that is on many people's mind right now. There hasn't been a definitive answer. Currently, the Mac AppStore does not have a provision deployed that allows for paid upgrades. Assuming that will remain the case for the foresseable future, Apple will do one of two things:
    • Release a new version and remove the old version from the AppStore and make users pay again
    • Release the new version as a free upgrade to existing users who purchased the software through the Mac AppStore

My gut tells me that Apple will most likely choose the first option - releasing new version and removing old version and making users pay for the new version again. The current iWork suite can be purchased on the Mac Appstore for about $60. If I remember correctly, iWork used to be about $80 for the boxed versions. Since the price point is lower and much more cheaper (since you can buy each app individually), Apple may just make us all buy new versions separately. Furthermore, Aperture experienced a significant price drop when it debuted on the Mac AppStore. Chances are that "Aperture 4" will be a new software application that will need to be purchased by everyone who wishes to use it.

Again, this is all speculation and we won't know until Apple releases a statement or takes action without words.

3. AndyMoore thread starter macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

This is what's stopping me hitting the buy button for Aperture . . . Version 3 has been out for quite some time now, V4 must be close.

4. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

I'm also wondering this. I want Aperture and IMovie, but not if I'll have to purchase whole new ones soon after. If anyone can shed some insight it'd be really appreciated!