Will we have to wait until September for 3.1 upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmvideo, Jul 1, 2009.

1. jmvideo macrumors newbie

I see that a 3.1 version has been released for developers today.

They say it's not for full release until September.

Surely we've not got to wait three months for a solution to all the irritating problems people are having with 3.0!

I'm not happy with 3.0. It's been a big disappointment for me.

Regards

John

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, it is likely that we will have to wait until then. Apple always releases new a new firmware with the release of the touch (with 2.0 we got the genius feature, with 1.0 it was the music store).

3. celticpride678

3.1 will probably be released in September, yes. However, 3.0.1 will probably be released before the summer is over.

4. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

I recently tried out a friend’s battery charger case and my iPhone 3GS began to buzz and flash between locked, wallpaper, and temperature warning screens.

5. Jani-Appleseed macrumors member

Well was there so many problems with 2.0 ? ( I assume NO) , I think to some extent people think that :apple: will never change their 'release' schedule even in extreme events, I think this is a wrong way to think , I know that :apple: has their ways of doing things etc. etc. but the bug fix etc. is just the tip of teh iceberg for the problems of 3.0 !! I mean just a few minutes ago I was posting on a overheating subject where people have their ipod literally melting !! So :apple: has to do something and quick!
    Myself I did not have any problems with 3.0 and Im happy but I understand how some people feel about the new software , personally I think there is nothing extremely 'wrong' with 3.0 its just that because like :apple: quotes 'hundreds of new features' obviously means hundreds of more bugs etc. ? So i think people should calm down and just trust apple to put things right and in the meanwhile help each other here :p

6. ccbr01 macrumors newbie

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

We got 2.0 almost two months before the 2nd gen touch was released ;)

With the release of the 2nd gen we got the 2.1 update, which did indeed add genius - though the 2nd gen itself debuted with a special version of the software (2.1.1) which was never available on the first gen.

Yeah, there were a heap of problems IIRC. Installing an app would take forever (seriously, an app that takes 10 seconds to download and install today would have taken at least a minute or so on the original 2.0). It'd just sit there saying 'Installing' for a very long time. Backups took ages too, some users reported it taking a couple hours whereas now it takes barely 30 seconds. There was also a problem with most apps randomly crashing - a problem on Apple's end that was somewhat fixed with 2.1, and then almost totally gone by 2.2.
    Not to mention the launch itself was a bit of a disaster - Apple launched the iPhone 3G, MobileMe and 2.0 all on the same day, and basically Apple's servers were just overloaded and most people couldn't even contact the update server, let alone download it.

8. na1577 macrumors 6502a

True, I worded my post poorly. What I meant to say is that we got a fairly major software update with the release of both iPod touches, 2.1 (for 2.0), 1.1.1 (for 1.0).

9. jmvideo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your comments.

You know what really puzzles me is why, when we're all using, basically, the same iPod, some people seem to have no problems and others a lot? What's causing these differences?

All I can say is that an update just can't come soon enough (for me)!

Regards

John

10. Jani-Appleseed macrumors member

Exactly what I'm thinking, I think its all down to the tiny individual settings , different apps etc. we all use in one of the 'hundred new features' :p, these small differences seem to cause BIG problems :x ;)

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yes with the 100s of features. but yes, most likely we will have to wait for 3.1. but an update might get pushed out like 3.0.1 because of the myriad of bugs.

12. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

There could be a couple of fairly obvious reasons:

1) Different hardware revision. It's not unusual for all companies to issue slightly different revisions of their products over time that don't warrant a different version number. Can be as simple as some new firmware in a particular chip to address some very minor issues but it can cause problems with future updates.

2) Dare I say, jailbreak? I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that some, if not most, of those having issues have jailbroken their device at some point and are finding that either that process or a non-approved app they installed are causing issues.

Not saying they're the only possible reason but fairly likely. I also wouldn't place too much faith in the majority having problems based on web boards. Obviously people come to complain far more than to compliment but there's also a large number of anti-apple fanboys that'll post me too comments just for the hell of it.