Will we see a High-Definition Screen MBP this year?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPP, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. JPP macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2007

    Well what with the rumours about the 20th February (who started that one?! :rolleyes: ) I had been holding off swapping my brand new 15" MBP for the 17" model. But it seems to me I'm going to be waiting forever for an update to the MBP or at least until June people are saying now and by that time won't the value of my new MBP have fallen dramatically... I fear it might.

    The current 17" MBP will do everything I want it to do and is plenty fast enough for me, enough memory and a big enough hard drive. I don't need a 2.44Ghz processor that is rumoured to arrive in the next update. BUT what I think I will need is HD capability - not necessarily a HD drive but a screen that can handle the native resolution would be nice.

    So my question is - do those in the know think we will see a screen with a native resoluion of 1920x1080 in the next update to the 17" macbook pro this year? I don't care about whether it's an LED or LCD screen - LED screens are rubbish in direct light or sunlight (so I've heard) and most LED screens that are to be used where direct light might hit them need a shade of some sort.

    With HD DVD or Blu Ray - whichever wins I don't mind but I would like to be able to display HD pictures on my MBP...

    What do you guys and girls think?
  2. princealfie macrumors 68030


    Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    I hope neither HD-DVD or Blu-Ray...

    Dual disc DVD's would be a good idea for the Superdrive however.
  3. briantology macrumors 6502

    Jun 5, 2006
    Just hold on to the one you've got and be happy with it until an update DOES occur, then decide what to do.
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    By the time that happens your resale value gets pinged an additional $500...

    My guess is they are going to see an update during WWDC though. Since NAB is sometime mid April, most like Apple will spread out their releases (as usual) to maxmize the media coverage they receive as an insignificantly small computer company and release the Mac Pro then and the updated MBPs in June.

    It depends on your needs, if you do not need your MBP why let it sit around and rot. Personally I am preparing to sell off my 2.33 15" since...

    1. I don't like it that much, the screen is really lousy to work with if you work on a computer as long as I do
    2. A Mac Pro suits my needs better
    3. I am actually quite excited about the LED screens. 3W power consumption!
    4. Most likely the bumped MBPs will get new GPUs as well, and maybe One More Thing.

Share This Page