Will we see a new Facebook app for iPad on thursday.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by byke, Sep 21, 2011.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I predict a step away from the app store and a HTML 5 independent app like the one at ft.com

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That would be bad, as a HTML 5 site wouldn't be able to do push-notifications - but then again, neither does the Facebook app on iPhone :p

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

4. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

I just saw I posted this in the wrong section, sorry about that.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It would also mean no photo uploads, given how Safari is crippled in that respect.

Phazer

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I will be glad when they finally release the FB app for the iPad because most of the apps in the app store for FB definitely leave some things to be desired.

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

If you're predicting it, your title is totally wrong. If you have solid info, it would be right. I'm surprised we still haven't seen it.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's the part that gets me. We know it exsists, but it has yet to be released :confused:

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you mean a web app? If its a step away from the AppStore, how is that different from the Mobile site that you see if you just navigate Safari to FB.com?

10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I don't see what the point of a "web app" would be, since FB is perfectly fine in a web browser on the iPad already. Except for uploads, which would require a real app.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

12. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

Hahahahaha Facebook f*cked up and Twitter is gonna monopolize the industry! Oh yeah and they forgot the most important feature, THE FACEBOOK IPAD APP!!!!!!! You fail hard Facebook, throw in the towel!

13. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I just don't understand what Facebook is doing.

14. nicastro78 macrumors newbie

That's okay, neither does Facebook!

15. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

Hahaha, they're failing!

16. motty2307 macrumors regular

I'm not totally sure about this, but wouldn't Facebook be making some kind of money from all of the apps that have been made for the iPad? I'm assuming "Facebook" is trademarked and they would need to give these other companies permission to use the name and probably receive some sort of payment.

I mean if I could just tell everyone to use my name and make money from it without having to do anything myself, I'd think I would.

17. urbanj macrumors regular

Forget an app. Whatever app they would release wouldn't work just like the iPhone one! LOL

All I know is that I downloaded all my personal info and deactivated Facebook yesterday. I can't be bothered having to constantly change and edit my privacy settings. And just because you set something private doesn't mean the other people does so sometimes you're guilty by association.

I'm using Twitter much more often now. Google+ is alright but no one is on it really.

18. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

They need to release an app!, The new Facebook Layout does not work well on the iPad.

19. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Which is fine by some of us, since the new layout is pretty horrid. :D

I'm still alternating between using Safari and the previous version of the FB app on a jailbroken iPad running FaceForward. The new "recent stories" and such aren't an improvement either within the app or via the web interface, but of the two, the web interface is better. Both are buggy in spots and inadequate compared to the regular browser experience on a computer. I imagine between the changes that just rolled out and the upcoming ones discussed today, we finally have a plausible reason why they haven't actually released the app that was previewed a couple of months ago and "seemed fine" to all of us who used it: It doesn't support their lame new UI adequately.

Personally, I think FB's UI team should be fired for incompetence. Every "enhancement" they come up with makes their setup less usable.

20. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I guess you were wrong huh?